Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Eyelash loss

(5 Posts)
Judi1144 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:41:21

Help!! I looked in the mirror this morning and noticed a very obvious bald patch on one of my eyelids. The other one is perfectly fine but this one looks as if someone has yanked out my eyelashes overnight. As the day progressed it has become obvious that au have picked up conjunctivitis in both eyes. Could this be the reason for my eyelash loss? I'm freaking out, my lashes are one of my best features. Will they grow back? Any advice greatly appreciated. X

underneaththeash Tue 11-Apr-17 21:58:13

Madarosis (eye lash loss) s often caused by blepharitis rather than conjunctivitis. Eye lid infections can be down to several causes and your gp won't have the equipment to see what it causing it.

Go and see a good optometrist and they should be able to tell you cause and treatment.

And yes, they will grow back again.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 11-Apr-17 22:03:08

Well i assume you're addressing the conjunctivitis? At least speaking to a pharmacist? Crusty eyelids can make the eyelashes shed.
You could try swabbing with hot water and cotton buds, or just rubbing with a flannel and water as hot as you can stand, morning and night, to soften up the build up of flakes. Press the flannel to your eyes a couple of times, rinskng under hot wayer each time, then gave a gentle scrub, again with hot water.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 11-Apr-17 22:08:25

Interesting you say a gp is unlikely to be able to help underneath. I had blepharitis for a long time and only ever got the swabbing advice from the gp, didn't occur to me to see an optometrist. That said, the hot flannel thing was advised by a more 'alternative' gp and it did help.

Judi1144 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:17:06

Thank you for your advice. Im going to the pharmacy in the morning as GP can't fit me in for another 3 weeks!!!!
Warm flannel helps with the discomfort for now. I was just worried I would never get my lashes back. I feel reassured. Thank you lovelies smile x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: