Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Palpitations/ racing heart, when to see doctor

(6 Posts)
Okite Tue 11-Apr-17 20:20:47

I get these reasonably regularly and have had an ecg a couple of times and all has been fine.
Earlier on I had an attack lasting about an hour which is much much longer than ever before (previously probably max 5 minutes). I was just on the verge of calling 111 for advice when it all stopped again. I've made an appointment online with the doctors but the soonest is in 2 weeks. Is it something I should have checked earlier than that? As it's been checked before I think it's ok but DH is worried

lljkk Tue 11-Apr-17 20:27:12

They can only find something when you're having the symptoms, they aren't going to find it when your heart is behaving normally. Or from a detailed history over a long period (diary you keep). I think you have to wait. Sorry. x Do keep a good diary of what happened for how long when.

I suppose good news is that you know you can have these things & be fine afterwards.

gamerchick Tue 11-Apr-17 20:28:40

How are your iron levels, do you drink enough fluids?

Okite Tue 11-Apr-17 20:36:18

Thanks lljkk, I have a heart rate tracker on my phone so I took several readings to show them. I've had a 24 hour ecg before but of course nothing happened!
gamer iron is ok, had it checked recently. It always hovers around the low end of the normal range.
I have pernicious anaemia which is what I presumed was causing the palpitations before but that is now well treated and shouldn't be causing problems any more.

lljkk Wed 12-Apr-17 05:39:10

phone trackers aren't calibrated for medical reasons, though, so they are good to pinpoint when something went wonky but not how wonky was it, iyswim.

I'd still bring those data to my medical appointment, but they probably have no way to use it except as when not what.

Okite Wed 12-Apr-17 08:17:58

No, fair enough but my gps tend to be quite dismissive so I thought at least it's something to show them, I wasn't imagining it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now