Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thumb in pain due to radial nerve pain

(4 Posts)
inkpad Tue 11-Apr-17 17:45:05

Hi all,

Following a severe elbow break (in which surgery was questioned) in June 2015, I've been left with radial nerve pain which causes pain in my forearm, tingling in the palm, and pain in my thumb. These sensations are constant, though gets worse as the day goes on and if i drive.
I also have pain (still) in the basement of my neck and shoulder so use deep heat on them and also on my bicep as that is constantly tight.
The pain in my thumb is surprisingly bad and appears to move on its own. I'm on medication (have tried various tablets over the years), and using capsaicin.
I have been referred to the hospital for some sort of electrical nerve testing.

Has anyone got any other suggestions to manage the pain.

Thanks

CMOTDibbler Tue 11-Apr-17 17:49:09

Are you on nerve pain drugs? Lyrica, gababpentin etc?

Acupuncture is amazingly effective (in my own experience anyway) for nerve pain and might be worth a try, especially combined with some physio to try and release your neck, bicep, and shoulder

inkpad Tue 11-Apr-17 18:48:13

Thanks CMOTDibbler. I'm now on Lyrica, having been on a few others but suffered with side effects (drowsiness). Had physio for a year via the NHS 😕 focused purely on the injury and bicep. Off to have a look at acupuncture.

CMOTDibbler Tue 11-Apr-17 21:40:04

I'm on Lyrica too smile. I managed to stick my radial head through a branch of the radial nerve whilst generally screwing my arm up and it does affect things up into my neck and I have to go back to my private physio to get it all straightened out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now