Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden chin and jaw breakouts - Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?

(12 Posts)
SuperBeagle Tue 11-Apr-17 11:28:05

I have been trying to eat better for the past 6-ish weeks, but my skin has been suffering for it. I cannot for the life of me work out what it might be reacting to. This is an example of the sort of thing I eat in a day:

Breakfast: Vegemite on toast with a Milo (light, lactose-free milk)

Lunch: Smoothie with almond milk, chia seeds, frozen berries, yogurt and a banana

Later on: Salady bits: berries, avocado, capsicum, cherry tomatos etc.

Dinner is the same old: nothing has changed there, so I assume it's not that.

I was drinking coconut milk in the smoothies but noticed it gave me a spot on my cheek which is a tell tale sign of an allergy/reaction, so I switched it for almond milk about 2 weeks ago.

I have reacted very badly to fish oil/omega 3 capsules in the past, so am wondering if the chia seeds might be the culprit?

Of a morning I also take 2 x spirulina, an anti-histamine, a birth control pill and an iron supplement, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

SuperBeagle Tue 11-Apr-17 11:29:20

I should add, my skin in general is really good at the moment. Blemish-free with the exception of my chin and jaw where I'm getting recurrent pimples (cystic). I get at least one new one a day.

StayGoldPonyBoy Tue 11-Apr-17 11:36:47

Have you changed contraceptive pills recently? They say chin and jaw break outs can be hormonal. I got them when I was on the pill and was fine when I swapped to a hormone free copper IUD.

snowgirl1 Tue 11-Apr-17 11:41:38

I got more spots on my jaw line when I changed from the combined pill to the mini-pill (progestogen only).

SuperBeagle Tue 11-Apr-17 11:48:54

Haven't changed pill brands or anything. I've been on Yaz for as long as I can recall!

SuperBeagle Tue 11-Apr-17 11:49:41

Although it being on my chin and jaw does lead me to wonder whether there's a connection to the pill.

Sunshineandlaughter Wed 12-Apr-17 22:53:30

Spots on chin/jaw are hormonal spots.

SuperBeagle Thu 13-Apr-17 00:30:03

It seems abnormal. It's not unusual for me to get one or two on my jaw, but I never get them on my chin and not in the volume that I have been.

I had my hormones tested in 2015 due to break outs on my cheeks and the hormone test came back fine, so I'm inclined to think it must be something in my diet.

I didn't have any almond milk or chia seeds yesterday, and got no new spots. Today, I have a smoothie with just almond milk and no chia, so I'll see how I get on with this. I really do wonder whether it might be the chia, due to past experiences with omega 3.

Teabagtits Thu 13-Apr-17 00:37:28

Are they like pus filled spots or do they start off as itchy lumps? I get the latter and am told it's an allergy but it seems more hormonal to me. I end up a right mess as I scratch in my sleep.

SuperBeagle Thu 13-Apr-17 02:10:30

They're pus-filled, although not all come to the surface. They just sit there being assholes. angry

When I was breaking out terribly on my cheeks, the spots were the same. Since I stopped taking fish oil, I've not got a single spot there. The exception is when I was drinking coconut milk (haven't gotten another on my cheek since I stopped).

Such a pain in the bum.

3luckystars Thu 13-Apr-17 02:21:44

I read previously that spots here are hormone related.

If you have increased soya and given up dairy recently then maybe everything is just setting down / adjusting to that?

Sunshineandlaughter Thu 13-Apr-17 07:42:01

Try toothpaste on them over night.
Or there is something they put on in beauty treatments that works wonders - glycerol? Can't remember

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now