Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help please - pic attached.

(19 Posts)
jemimarose Sun 09-Apr-17 15:33:08

Hi all, hoping to get some advice for my mum who is really worried about the rash. When she touches it, it really hurts. Not itchy. My mum, 67 years, can't get a doctors appointment for two weeks and is getting anxious. Thank you in advance.

ivykaty44 Sun 09-Apr-17 15:36:27

Google walk in centers in your region, they are around and she caN see a Dr today or tomorrow.

jemimarose Sun 09-Apr-17 15:40:48

Thanks Ivy, didn't know such places existed. But if extra info. My mum has been drinking to excess and had a very sore left kidney which is on the same side as rash, could it be related?

Okite Sun 09-Apr-17 15:40:51

With the ring around it, I wonder if it could be ringworm or similar? She could show a pharmacist, they'd most likely to be able to help.

jemimarose Sun 09-Apr-17 15:41:46

Off to google ringworm and walk in Dr's - thank you smile

EduCated Sun 09-Apr-17 15:42:04

With the kidney stuff as well, might not be a bad idea to phone 111.

7to25 Sun 09-Apr-17 15:42:25


PurpleAlerts Sun 09-Apr-17 15:43:30

Is it raised? Bumpy? Looks like shingles to me.

jemimarose Sun 09-Apr-17 15:47:03

Just googled ringworm ... says it's itchy, my mum says it's not itchy at all but v sore when touched.....any more ideas? Thanks

PencilsInSpace Sun 09-Apr-17 15:49:33

Yes I'd say shingles too. Not a bad idea to find a walk in clinic though to be on the safe side.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 09-Apr-17 15:50:06

It looks like shingles to me too. She shouldn't have to wait two weeks to see a doctor though...her surgery must have emergency appointments?

welshweasel Sun 09-Apr-17 15:50:20

Looks very much like shingles to me

picklemepopcorn Sun 09-Apr-17 15:51:37

Shingles, needs an out of hours appointment so she can have antivirals, if it's soon enough.

Okite Sun 09-Apr-17 15:52:58

Ooh yes I've just googled shingles rash, it does look very much like that.

minmooch Sun 09-Apr-17 15:53:03

Definitely looks like shingles. Get her to go to her gp but ring and warn in advance as there could be immunosuppressed patients in waiting room for whom this could be very serious.

jemimarose Sun 09-Apr-17 15:54:27

Thanks all. Just googled shingles and looks the most likely. Will encourage mum to phone dr. again plus get some calamine lotion in the meantime.

PurpleAlerts Sun 09-Apr-17 17:38:28

The antiviral stuff you put on cold sores might help until she can see a doctor- Zovirax- my DD had shingles in a very similar place on her side and acyclovir cream (5%) was one of the things prescribed for her.

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:49:07

I think it's shingles to because it's so localised

Ellapaella Sun 09-Apr-17 18:55:43

Looks like shingles but anti virals only work I think if taken within 72 hours of the rash appearing so she would need to be seen in a walk in centre if she's still within time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: