Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it worth bothering the GP?

(13 Posts)
caremummy Sun 09-Apr-17 15:25:26

For the last 3 weeks I have developed really bad balance, my head spins as if i've had 30 too many, I've felt really sick and been achey. My hearing has also got worse. I think it's just a mild infection or bug but its exam season + has been quite a while. Any ideas?

Heratnumber7 Sun 09-Apr-17 15:42:55

3 weeks is a long time.

Assuming that if you call the surgery tomorrow, the earliest you'll be able to get a GP appt will be early May (it would be round here), I'd make the appt and cancel nearer the time if you feel better.

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Apr-17 15:45:04

It sounds like labyrthnitis, as described here:

The inflammation may cause you to feel dizzy, like you are spinning or whirling. Labyrinthitis may also cause temporary hearing loss or a ringing in your ears or tinnitus, and it may also make you feel sick. Labyrinthitis can happen after a viral infection or, more rarely, after an infection caused by bacteria.

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Apr-17 15:45:30

Sorry, meant to add, I think you should see your doctor. I had this and it was treated very quickly.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 09-Apr-17 15:45:57

Ring the surgery and ask for an urgent/emergency appointment. Don't be put off for weeks.

Hearing and balance are linked and you need proper examination.

leghoul Sun 09-Apr-17 15:47:07

Yes they can look in your ears with an otoscope. That;s a much more reasonable reason than many visits

caremummy Sun 09-Apr-17 15:48:00

Thankyou all x my gp surgery are quite gd + do on the day apt so i can try for one of them x i just didn't want to go for no reason

QuestionableMouse Sun 09-Apr-17 15:48:12

You are not bothering the GP going for something like this.

MrsSthe3rd Sun 09-Apr-17 15:49:56

I've had this too, and was going to suggest an inner ear issue, like labrynthitis.

It's horrendous, so hope you can get into the Dr's asap. Don't let them put you off.

SlB09 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:50:34

It may be as simple as your ear is blocked with wax, or labrinthitis as,others have said. Either way GP visit to check it out and get some symptomatic relief

socialanxietysrus Sun 09-Apr-17 17:56:04

I'm exactly the same at the moment OP, feels really rubbish doesn't it?!!

wineandsunshine Sun 09-Apr-17 18:13:09

I'm exactly the same too! I think it's quite common this time of year but it's bloody horrible! Hope you get seen op!

Nowdecide Tue 18-Apr-17 21:22:28

Bit late to the party and I have same too! Getting desperate - hence mn search. I have made a GP appointment today. May 8th was first available slot.
I hope you have all turned a corner with it (any tips) and are feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now