Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

toddler - broken foot?

(8 Posts)
isthistoonosy Sun 09-Apr-17 14:42:15

2 yr old dropped something heavy on her foot, ive given ibuprofen and tries to keep it in cold ish water. It is bruised (about the same size as the tip of her thumb) and a little swollen around it.
Its an hours drive to the hospital and i would need to take the three yr old with me as well. She is watching Dora now and not crying, it happened about 39 min ago.
How can i know if it needs to be seen by someone / xrayed?

SnookieSnooks Sun 09-Apr-17 14:45:13

If you're in any doubt take her. An untreated broken foot will affect her for the rest of her life. However, if it is broken, I'm sure it will hurt whenever she puts any weight on it.

You could try calling 111. They should be able to advise of red flags to look out for.

iknowimcoming Sun 09-Apr-17 15:27:39

My Ds broke his metatarsal (bone in top of foot) running at a soft play centre when he was three, a bigger kid pulled him over. He couldn't put any weight on it at all without screaming blue murder (and he wasn't one to make a fuss normally) wasn't sure whether to take him to hospital or not so rang DH and he said bring him home and we'll see how he goes. Brought him home, 10 mins or so, in the car and carried him to front door put him down on doorstep and he went went mental DH took one look and went err yeah take him to hospital then. I'm no doctor but from my experience if she can stand and walk fine, I wouldn't bother, if not take her. Good luck flowers

PragmaticWench Sun 09-Apr-17 15:34:28

DD broke her foot when she was about 2.5 and couldn't weight-bear on it properly. Something to do with fractures not always showing properly in young children but the hospital sent us home and said come back for another x-ray in ten days. We did, it was broken so they plastered it.

PragmaticWench Sun 09-Apr-17 15:35:41

Bad parent but I did wait 24 hours after she broke it to see if she'd forgotten about it overnight before taking her to hospital!

Fairylea Sun 09-Apr-17 15:36:52

I would take her. I broke my foot aged 10 and I still somehow managed to walk home on it....! shock

isthistoonosy Sun 09-Apr-17 16:40:03

She was jumping and wrestling with her brother when i came back to them so I'm going to wait and see in the morning if she can weight bare and how swollen it is.
She crys a lot at the moment as she is dropping her last nap so is over tired a lot of the time.

isthistoonosy Sun 09-Apr-17 16:40:29

Thanks for the advice. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now