Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

B12 deficiency - when will I stop feeling like crap?

(8 Posts)
PlayOnWurtz Sun 09-Apr-17 10:56:56

I went looking for answers from my gp following a mmc recently and among the tests he evidently ran a b12 check. Anyway this has come back as low (exact figures not known as the Dr who rang me was nasty, said take some supplements and repeat bloods in a couple of weeks).

So I've been exhausted and flat for some time and put it down to pregnancy/miscarriage crap but now that's overish (ERPC last Monday still bleeding a small amount) and I'm still feeling shit. I've bought some 1000mg (can't so the squiggle on the bottle) b12 from the health food shop and am duly taking them. When will I see any effect? Will the b12 deficiency have caused the mmc?

I hate feeling crap and although I had 12 hours sleep last night have got up and feel like I need another sleep.

Bebraveagain Sun 09-Apr-17 13:53:17

You need a complete print of your full blood results. Really low b12 could be pernacious anaemia and you need to knoe how much to supplement. 1000mg might not be enough or you might need loading doses. Also check thyroid, ferritin and vit D results as they also cause exhaustion.

Okite Sun 09-Apr-17 13:58:54

What are the gps planning? If the gp is nasty, go and see a different one. Ask them to investigate the reason why your B12 is low (this is what they should do anyway). Ideally don't take any supplements until you've had further blood tests as they can skew results.
There are a number of things that can cause low B12 - diet is extremely unlikely unless you are vegan. Most common reasons are digestive issues that cause absorption issues (e.g. Coeliac disease) or pernicious anaemia (I have this) which is an autoimmune condition.
If you have PA (which can be indicated by further blood tests) you will HAVE to have B12 injections regularly for life. Without them you can suffer serious neurological damage.
Unfortunately it's a bit of a battle to get sufficient treatment and a lot of sufferers end up injecting themselves, but that's not something to worry about right now.

Okite Sun 09-Apr-17 13:59:58

Sorry just seen your last question, yes B12 deficiency can make miscarriages more likely.

PlayOnWurtz Sun 09-Apr-17 14:47:24

Thanks for your replies. The gp who called was really flippant and dismissive and said as previous tests showed my b12 as normal that she doesn't know why they requested it again. Plan at this stage is simply to repeat the test in 2 weeks time after I've been on supplements. I have a 7 day surgery so I've just tried calling for the exact figures but didn't get through.

I feel so rubbish and keep falling asleep!! Is that normal with low b12 or just me being lazy?

PlayOnWurtz Sun 09-Apr-17 14:50:07

I have a history of gastritis, IBS and had my gallbladder removed last year so would I be safe to assume gastric causes if so will supplements even help?

SauvignonGrower Sun 09-Apr-17 14:53:22

B12 absorption takes place in your small intestine and it is possibly hindered somewhat by your gastric difficulties. The quickest way to resolve is with B12 injections but sounds like your GP will be reluctant to prescribe.

Okite Sun 09-Apr-17 14:57:01

Completely normal with b12 I'm afraid. It's very characteristic that you can have a full nights sleep, get up and be totally ready to just go back to bed again.
Your gp sounds crap, I'd change straight away.
All the gastric things could well be causing the issue but it's best practise to immediately supplement with injections.
B12 deficiency if untreated is deadly, treatment is cheap, easy and effective. It should be a no-brainer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now