Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

*smacks forehead* So THAT's why I've been feeling utterly washed out for months...

(7 Posts)
ChocAuVin Sun 09-Apr-17 01:17:57

...Why did I not remember that I've been diagnosed as anaemic in the past and was prescribed iron by my GP a few years ago?

After months of low-level constant 'blah' and incessant hankering after naps, it occurred to me in a dream (I kid you not!) that it could be low iron behind the lethargy again.

Not only do I have history of anaemia (d'oh), I also have very heavy periods due to cooper coil (which is otherwise great).

Rather than wait for a doctor's appointment, I got myself a couple of different types of OTC iron tablets and have alternated them on a daily basis for nearly two weeks - and shock, gasp - I feel fantastic again! Sigh... so I'm posting this as a PSA, just in case anyone else is in the same boat.

smile

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 09-Apr-17 01:29:52

Oh good! So nice to be able to work it out and crack on with some iron pills and feel great again. Good for you.

ChocAuVin Sun 09-Apr-17 11:58:12

Thanks Cauliflower. I'm delighted. grin

fusspot66 Sun 09-Apr-17 12:00:38

I believe chocolate raisins are very good for raising iron levels (& keeping your bowels going).

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 09-Apr-17 12:03:59

My haemoglobin had dropped to 8 a few months ago and I had no idea! Just thought I was tired and breathless because I'm old and unfit!

Routine blood check revealed the severe anaemia and since I've been taking 3 iron tablets a day I feel like a new woman.

Amazing what a difference it makes grin

Tangoandcreditcards Sun 09-Apr-17 12:05:09

Hmm. Also been knackered, and have (for no apparent reason) been having mid cycle bleeds for 4-5 mo. Wonder if that's made me a bit anaemic too.

Mainly I'm taking fusspot 's permission to self medicate with chocolate raisins. Thanks again mumsnet!

Glad you feel better OP.

ChocAuVin Sun 09-Apr-17 12:56:45

Seriously - worth getting checked.

Like Sarky, I was getting breathless walking up two flights of stairs yet I cycle 6 miles a day and have always been pretty fit! Hope this helps someone else - it has been a revelation for me (and from googling it's usually women of childbearing age who are prone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now