Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Those heart monitor apps - well check out my weird reading

(16 Posts)
Realitea Sat 08-Apr-17 19:41:19

I've been having palpitations forever and out of curiosity thought I'd download the heart thing on my phone. It doesn't look quite right to me. Does anyone have any knowledge of ecg readings that can help? Maybe it is normal I don't know (but I always thought the arrows were supposed to point upwards!)

Supermagicsmile Sat 08-Apr-17 19:45:42

Sorry I am not sure about the reading but would love to know what app it was and how it works!

lljkk Sat 08-Apr-17 19:50:32

What treatment R you getting for your palpitations?

Realitea Sat 08-Apr-17 20:00:15

No treatment at all it's been put down to anxiety. I've had a few quick ecg's and they never pick up anything so they're not worried. When I was being monitored in hospital for whooping cough, my pulse was all over the place. They mentioned it but didn't seem bothered either. It wasn't a steady rhythm, even I could tell that.
The monitor is on the App Store I just searched 'heart monitor' !

lljkk Sat 08-Apr-17 20:06:26

ECG is a more fine time & beat resolution measurement, I don't think you should look at ECGs to compare.

reallybadidea Sat 08-Apr-17 20:20:39

That isn't an ECG. As far as I can tell it's a graph of your heart rate.

Realitea Sat 08-Apr-17 20:23:21

I have to agree with you there. This is very basic and has no detail to it at all

Supermagicsmile Sat 08-Apr-17 20:34:04

Which one is it?smile so many have come up!

Realitea Sat 08-Apr-17 20:51:54

It's called instant heart rate - it was the top one for me. I'm wishing I hadn't downloaded it now hope you get on better than me!

SafeToCross Sat 08-Apr-17 20:55:32

It is not clear from the picture that the graph means anything? Just one reading given? But obv I can't see the rest of the app, which you can. I guess it depends whether your pulse is going higher in response to activity/anxiety/excitement and lower in response to rest, which would be normal, or just randomly changing? Or if it is changing significantly in response to standing up, which would put you at risk of falling over.

Realitea Sat 08-Apr-17 21:49:07

I was just sitting down, relaxed. I don't think I have particularly high anxiety either so for the doctor to put it down to anxiety annoys me a bit. It went down then evened out to normal after I took that screenshot.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 08-Apr-17 21:56:59

That defiantly isnt an ecg reading.

I doubt very much if an ecg would be possible using a phone app as an ecg measures electrical impulses at and across various parts of the heart by measuring the potential difference across leads attatched to at least three pisitions on the body. Unless of course they have invented a way to do this recently.

That is quite a high resting heart rate though.

welshweasel Sat 08-Apr-17 22:01:55

It's not an ecg reading. You can't tell anything meaningful from the trace I'm afraid. If you're having symptoms you need to see your GP, not stress yourself out using free apps! To be fair it's quite a good app for tracking your resting heart rate but the actual morphology of the trace means nothing. Here's mine from just now.

wineandsunshine Sun 09-Apr-17 18:21:55

Honestly don't panic! I have done exactly the same as you! Mine was all over the show even watching eastenders grin I did get a bit OCD about checking and deleted it!

Ellapaella Sun 09-Apr-17 18:53:43

It is not the same as an ecg and yours simply just shows a lot of interference.

Realitea Sun 09-Apr-17 20:26:57

Thanks for your answers. I do feel better about it now and have deleted the app! Why is my heart rate so high though? Does it depend on how fit you are? I'm a bit fat but reasonably fit or so I thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now