Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gynocology oncology appointment

(8 Posts)
Justme78 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:39:23

I don't know why I'm writing this, maybe reassurance?! I went to the dr last week because I sometimes bleed after sex and sometimes bleed in between periods. When I have my period and have bowel movements it absolutely kills in my abdomen area, I sometimes have night sweats but not too often and sometimes I have lower leg discomfort. So, the dr took swabs and then referred me to hospital for a check up but she referred me under the 2 week urgent appointments which freaked me out. Today, I got my appointment through the post for me to see a gynocology oncologist and it has totally freaked me out... is the dr thinking I might have cancer??

Whirltime Sat 08-Apr-17 19:41:49

My mum went though this. They have to treat has urgent with the symptoms you have as it could possibly be cancer but also it could very easily be something else. They do it all urgent and rushed to cover all bases. Good luck and hope it all turns out for the best.

hairymuffet Sat 08-Apr-17 19:47:01

Could be endometriosis?

MaidenMotherCrone Sat 08-Apr-17 19:49:31

Oncology...the study of conditions, diseases and treatment of tumours. Not necessarily cancer Op.

gooseygander88 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:50:16

I had the exact same problem, are you on the pill the progesterone only one? That was my problem the moment I stopped taking it all those symptoms went!x

Justme78 Sat 08-Apr-17 19:52:53

Thank you for replies. I'm not on any pills and endo was mentioned by the dr but it was just the oncology word on the letter that threw me a bit as I just assume oncology=cancer

AliciaMayEmory Sat 08-Apr-17 19:54:22

I think that anything suspect is referred under the two week rule just incase. DS was seen as a matter of urgency as he had a lump on his rib. When the hospital rang to book him in he had D&V and yet they still told me to bring him in. I was absolutely terrified, but it turned out to be completely​ benign and even though they did a few different checks, they were confident from the first examination that it was not serious. He was seen by one of the top pedeatric oncology consultants though which made me think the worst. Hopefully, as with DS, they are just being cautious in your case and it is something they can easily treat.

bonzo77 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:01:21

If it might be cancer they assume that's what it is. Best to exclude that first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now