Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Benefits of Turmeric?

(15 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Fri 07-Apr-17 20:14:46

Anyone take a supplement? I hear it's an anti inflammatory and good for your metabolism too!

Laurendisorder Fri 07-Apr-17 20:39:40

I now add tumeric to almost everything these days (I use the one from lakeland) - but understand it works best if taken with ginger and/or cayenne pepper?

gillybeanz Fri 07-Apr-17 20:44:35

My dh makes a drink with hot water, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, poppy seeds, and of course coconut oil.
He takes it as he is auto immune.
I think it tastes awful but he i seeing the benefits and I can honestly recommend it for anyone who can stomach it.

We also use it for cooking where we can.

BzyB Fri 07-Apr-17 20:44:58

I was browsing alternatives to prescribed antidepressants last night and saw turmeric mentioned. Haven't had a chance to look further though.

minifingerz Fri 07-Apr-17 21:45:37

I make spicy tea with this recipe:

Spice mix - in a blender blast a tablespoon of black peppercorns, same of green cardamom and cloves and one big stick of cinnamon.

Make half a cup of tea with one teabag and a teaspoon of the spice mixture.

In a pan warm half a cup of milk, maple syrup (I use about two teaspoons), some grated fresh ginger and either half a teaspoon of powder turmeric or (preferably)
these

Once warm, sieve the spicy tea mixture into the milk and enjoy.

I love it. It stops my knee from hurting.

Jungfraujoch Fri 07-Apr-17 22:55:27

Thanks for the comments. I think you have to get the right balance of other 'stuff' - apparently when combined with black pepper it works best.

MiniMum97 Fri 07-Apr-17 23:01:36

Yes black pepper aids absorption. You also need to cook with it rather than just take it as a supplement to get the benefits. I drink this and it's lovely....
https://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea-recipe/

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Fri 07-Apr-17 23:06:41

DH has been taking it as a supplement and found it helpful for psoriatic arthritis. He's taking fewer painkillers. I am sceptical but if he feels better for it, fair does.

Everydayaschoolday Fri 07-Apr-17 23:11:07

My DF takes it for his arthritis. DH takes it for a condition in his joints for it's anti-inflammatory properties. We buy it from a local herbalist store in tablet form. Both are certain that it helps.

Jungfraujoch Sat 08-Apr-17 21:14:02

Thanks all - I've been recommended this one

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71A21aS%2BP%2BL._SX522_.jpg

notapizzaeater Sat 08-Apr-17 21:25:25

I put it with black pepper in anything I cook with a sauce

user1489434024 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:43:12

Google golden paste.

Let me tell you. It works. My mother has come off all her medication and changed to this. She has skipped with my LG for the first time ever this week. It really really works x

PollytheDolly Sun 09-Apr-17 19:15:12

Just ordered a big bag for my horse!!

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sun 09-Apr-17 19:20:26

I'm going to try it for my osteoarthritis.

Jungfraujoch Sun 09-Apr-17 20:24:02

Golden paste sounds slightly dodgy but will Google!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now