Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I go back to work?

(5 Posts)
Pleasemrstweedie Fri 07-Apr-17 11:34:11

I would be grateful for some advice please about this as I'm not sure what to do and this post should probably be read against a background of doctors never taking me seriously in my entire life.

2 weeks ago I had an ultrasound on my left shoulder and was diagnosed with a tear to my rotator cuff. This gives me pain in the entire arm and I have a numb hand and very restricted movement.

2 days later I had an accident and sustained some quite serious injuries. I had a head injury which needed stitches, bruised ribs, a sore elbow and wrist and cuts and bruises to my legs and hands. I was also very shocked for several days afterwards and took last week off work.

5 days after the accident I saw a GP who grudgingly signed me off for another week but said that she expected that by today I would have "pulled myself together ".

At the beginning of last week I saw an osteopath about the rotator cuff injury, who advised me that I should get my right wrist x-rayed. I went to A&E and when they realised that I could not straighten my right arm they also x-rayed my elbow joint. I have a broken bone in my wrist which is now in a brace and they are not sure whether I have broken my arm at the elbow but they have put my arm in a sling anyway. I am due to go back to the fracture clinic for further investigations at the end of next week.

Because I have a little movement and a lot of pain in my left arm and my right arm is in a brace and a sling there is very little I can do. I am due to go back to work on Monday and I have spoken to our health and safety people, but all they can suggest is that I move my mouse to my left hand. I am not convinced I'm going to be able to do my job. which involves mostly typing on the computer and I'm getting very stressed about it.

I also can't carry anything, can't wash my hair properly, can't clean my teeth properly, cant dress without assistance, can't use a handrail on stairs and am not actually going to be able to open the main door to where I work.

I am due to see a different GP again on Monday morning and I think I am going to have to say to her that I am not going to be able to do my job until perhaps I get a plaster on my wrist or I get some help with the rotator cuff injury faster than the standard NHS. Do you think that's reasonable?

Thanks

70ontheinside Fri 07-Apr-17 11:39:56

What? Of course you can't go to work like that!

themusicmum Fri 07-Apr-17 11:54:26

No, you cant work like this. Get well soon.

AuldHeathen Fri 07-Apr-17 16:04:00

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Pleasemrs. I think maybe you need to approach Monday's GP appt with certainty. State what you need from him/her in terms of sick note. (I haven't been an employee for a while so unsure of the current law). So you go in and state that you need a sick note. You don't query whether you need one but list the work activities you can't currently do due to your injuries - so more or less what you've said above. Good luck, OP, and I hope you recover soon.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 07-Apr-17 20:03:41

Thanks everyone.

I know I'm not ready to go back and might yet finish up in plaster or ore wise immobilised. I just struggle terribly with doctors since I had to get my medical records and I saw that the only two serious illnesses in my life had been dismissed as all in my head. It knocks your confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now