Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists about advice needed re abscess

(2 Posts)
Sunflower6 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:47:20

I have had dental pain for over a week which was starting to disturb my sleep. I couldn't get an appointment at my dentist because my dentist has gone on emergency leave until May. I was told to ring 111 which I did and they referred me another dentist today. Dentist did an X-ray and diagnosed me with an abscess I'm afraid I didn't know to ask whether it is in my tooth or gum. Dentist prescribed antibiotics and said to go back to my own dentist when antibiotics finished. I rang my own dentist again still can't get an appointment. I've since read online that abscesses should be drained is that right, the dentist didn't do that. Im just worried because I'm supposed to be going away on Monday for a few days on my own with my kids and don't want to get worse when I'm away from home. I will confess to being a bit of a worrier.

Sunferra Fri 07-Apr-17 14:08:59

Hello Sunflower,I'm sorry I'm not a dentist. Toothache is awful-so painful. I'm ashamed to say that I have had frequent dental abcesses and am struggling with one now. My dentists have always given me amoxicillin and then often a root canal. I've never been advised to drain the abcess although I suppose this is actually what a root canal is. I find codiene and paracetamol is helpful, pharmacists are very sympathetic about toothache. A hot water bottle on the affected side can help, warm drinks but not hot/cold as they can set off the pain. Orajel and clove oil can help anaesthetise the gum if the abcess is near the surface( just the tiniest drip of clove oil as its powerful stuff and nips at first). I hope you feel better soon xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now