Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's happened to my nails? Photo inc.

(16 Posts)
FamilySpartan Thu 06-Apr-17 13:21:06

What are these discoloured lines at the tips of my fingernails? They're on all of my nails but seem to be more prominent on middle, ring and pinky fingers.

JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 16:01:34

Fungal nail infection.

picklemepopcorn Thu 06-Apr-17 16:25:24

Isn't that just dryness? I went to doctor with similar (part of a set of symptoms, not just that!) and she wasn't concerned. Is there more free end to the nail than their used to be? The white starting further down the nail bed?

FamilySpartan Thu 06-Apr-17 17:34:03

No more than normal, Pickle. They've never been lovely, and I work with food so constantly washing my hands. I thought it might have indicated a vitamin deficiency or something.

wineandsunshine Thu 06-Apr-17 19:37:33

Fungal nail infection!

picklemepopcorn Thu 06-Apr-17 21:24:27

I thought fungal had a yellow tinge, and more of a patch? I googled, and the only one it looked at all like was dryness.

FamilySpartan Thu 06-Apr-17 21:41:22

Thanks Pickle. Not convinced it's fungal as I thought the ridges went horizontally for that. A friend has suggested dryness and poor circulation (and rudely, age). shock

bionicant Thu 06-Apr-17 21:43:32

when the nail tip sort of merges into the bed it can be a nail infection, curanail works really quickly

i used to get the same after using gel nails

Oblomov17 Sat 15-Apr-17 14:40:16

I have this too. Look a bit yellow in the picture, but they are not, it's just the light. So I assumed it wasn't fungal. I thought it was that they were dry, ridged, splitting, and lacking in vitamins. Should I take a supplement? Which one? A hair and nails vitamin or biotin?

FamilySpartan Sat 15-Apr-17 16:24:28

Oblo, does yours seem the worst on your ring fingers, then pinkie and middle fingers, and your index and thumbs are fine? Yours look very similar to mine.

I asked the pharmacist, she said it wasn't fungal. It might be a vitamin deficiency but I'm taking a pregnancy multivitamin ATM so whatever is in them hasn't helped.

Oblomov17 Sat 15-Apr-17 22:01:35

Yes Family, it does!! Worse on the ring finger. Why is that then? What possible reason could there be for that? hmm

FamilySpartan Sat 15-Apr-17 22:09:01

Oblo, it's so odd! I'll ask my doctor on my next visit. Google is suggesting that it's age related. I'm only 41 confused

Oblomov17 Sat 15-Apr-17 22:32:05

Mine started at that age aswell!!
I had lovely strong nails up until after ds's. I assumed it was something to do with being practically Peri-menopausal.

funnylady Mon 17-Apr-17 14:42:38

Do you by any chance have psoriasis too?

FamilySpartan Mon 17-Apr-17 19:24:41

No funnylady, I don't. I've never had nice nails either, they've always been weak and bendy. Now they're ridgy too!

Aquamarine1029 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:09:43

FUNGUS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now