Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Steroids (prednisolone)...weight gain??

(5 Posts)
val4 Wed 05-Apr-17 21:10:38

I'm starting steroids , 6 daily for 3 days, reducing by 1 every 3 days until course finished. I've been having chest pain /tightness and wheeze. Just wondering of side effects on that dose? First time on stetoids so have no idea what to expect. Will it cause rapid weight gain(moon face) on that dose? Please tell me your experience on this medication ??

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Apr-17 21:18:51

On such a short course you won't get any weight changes. Your mood might change, you might find you have a lot more energy too.

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 05-Apr-17 21:22:55

You may well get an increased appetite along with feeling a lot better and having a little too much energy. But for such a short course you will be fine in the weight department!

val4 Wed 05-Apr-17 21:32:55

Thanks so much for your replies. An increase in energy will be welcome...have been wiped out since Christmas with chest infections/pleurisy etc. Am relieved that weight gain won't be issue at that level as have chronic pain ,so can't afford to put on much more weight, but will still watch appetite!

wfrances Wed 05-Apr-17 22:04:24

i was taking 8 a day for a month then tapered off
so i was on them for months
i lost weight, made my insomnia worse but great for mood and energy.
my blood sugars were elevated and i had to be retested to check it had come down after finishing the course.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: