Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urethral stricture

(12 Posts)
user1484615313 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:03:39

I Went in for a cystoscopy and the doc stretched my urethra as he said was very tight. Very painful experience but helped a lot. Going in for a Urodynamics soon to test the strength of my bladder. All started as I was and still having blood in urine (non visible) I've had cystoscopy an ultrasound and ct scan done. My results were negative for stones and tumours
Has anyone else had urethral structure?

changedforthreadonly1 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:40:18

I've been told highly likely I have one, had cystoscopy and a dilation back in 2011 and I've been told I probably need another. At the time the doctors said I was remarkably rare as was only just 20. I'm 25 now and they're still saying it would be very unusual.

I've had repeated episodes of retention and catheterisation, and then days where I'm peeing every 20 minutes but only small amounts. GP and hospital doctors think I'm most likely not emptying my bladder fully most of the time.

I have had lots of ultrasounds but none specifically of my bladder , or at least not since 2011/2012 anyway. They did say urodynamics might be needed again too.

Did you have your cystoscopy awake? I got a spinal block and heavy sedation for mine, it was combined with other ops but the surgeon said she refused to do it any other way due to my age. I'm really hoping they can knock me out again this time around, the dilation worries me. I'm glad it's helped you though smile

user1484615313 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:10:17

Nope. Just some numbing gel. It was an office cystoscopy and soon as he put the camera in I thought I was going to faint. It was very painful. But he said to me mine could be from childbirth. Maybe some sort of trauma? Not sure yet. I'm 39 though so as you're younger it may be that the procedure wil be different for you. But my symptoms went from peeing 8/12 times in an hour. To once every few hours. Hope you get some answers and relief soon.

changedforthreadonly1 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:48:45

Oh gosh I don't think I could do that, you must be very brave !! . The pain after the last dilation was horrendous, I was on a day surgery ward and screamed the place down when they made me use a bed pan blush.

It worked OK the first time I think, I was much as I am just now before it was done and that's why GP thinks it's come back. She said it might be a congenital abnormality, have had UTIs since I was 2 or 3 years old . I can imagine how childbirth could cause it, I've not had a child yet ..

Yes - today I've been for a wee 13 times but only 40ml/60ml at a time , it can't get much worse (well it could , they could put the catheter back in) .. hopefully yours continues to help you flowers.

PollyPerky Thu 06-Apr-17 22:23:33

User Are you posting to say this worked for you? That's great news. However, there is a lot of controversy over this procedure. It's sometimes offered for IC/ Painful Bladder Syndrome but there is a lot of discussion over whether it works. The case for IC seems suspect to say the least. If it doesn't help, see someone who knows about IC- which is an umbrella term for frequency and pain - and don't submit to invasive procedures without asking lots of questions and doing lots of reading online from people who've had this.

user1484615313 Fri 07-Apr-17 04:20:22

It's just there isn't very much on this I can research as urethra stricture seems quiet rare. For my case as I was already in for the cystoscopy the camera had to go in for the bladder scan. So as the doctor was doing this and I shouted in pain. He did notice my extremely tightened urethra which had to be stretched for the procedure anyway. Otherwise camera was not going through. It was very painful and the after effect was even worse. Like peeing glass. But I have to admit it has made my symptoms much better. But I'm still not 100%.
So I'm just interested to see if anyone has had this before and if they have had succes treating this fully. I do have to mention that I am having issues with incontinence so this is slightly worrying.

PollyPerky Fri 07-Apr-17 07:22:27

What did they find with the camera? Have you had a diagnosis ? Bleeding from the bladder walls when the bladder is stretched is a sign of an inflamed bladder lining. What are your day to day symptoms?

user1484615313 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:27:22

Bladder was all clear. Had a ct scan of kidneys and urethra too. That was clear too. My symptoms now are still needing to empty my badder often throughout the day (but has got better after stretching). And slight burning when peeing. Extremely painful when holding in urine. Feeling of bladder not being completely emptied after visiting toilet. I have also been referred to the gyno.

user1484615313 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:30:13

I should say a urogynecologist.

PollyPerky Fri 07-Apr-17 09:37:09

It sounds like IC.
(Talking from personal experience.)

I refused the procedures you have had on the basis I had read negative things about them though some women find they help. I manage my symptoms mainly through diet and at times a special antihistamine that calms the bladder.

I think you would find a lot of helpful information on this site

bladderhealthuk.org/

It's a horrible condition. I was almost housebound at some stages due to needing the loo so often.

Have a read about foods and drinks that can be irritants.

bladderhealthuk.org/bladder-conditions/interstitial-cystitispainful-bladder-syndrome/icpbs-diet

Teabagtits Fri 07-Apr-17 09:49:43

I had this as a teen but was investigated and treated under general anaesthetic. The pain peeing afterwards was so bad I fainted. While I still get the odd uti (and always have some leukocytes in urine) it's not persistent like it was before.

user1484615313 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:52:19

Thank you everyone. This really helps.
I will look into the links you have sent also Polly. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now