Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oral thrush and exhaustion

(26 Posts)
Goldfishjane Wed 05-Apr-17 17:18:23

Has anyone had this and felt really exhausted and just odd.?
I have had this for about two weeks but tried the pharmacy first and they gave me Daktarin. No improvement and throat feels awful. Had gp appt today. He prescribed nyastatin drops but though the shattered feeling I have is probably unrelated?

I was my usual perky self before this infection though, but this week I'm so tired I haven't even worked out. GP said "are you a bit run down" but there's no reason I would be, haven't even had a cold this winter.

Just wondered if anyone had this and how quickly nystatin worked for them
Thanks.

Longdistance Wed 05-Apr-17 17:26:13

My dd had oral thrush as a baby, and I had it in my ducts.

I went to Holland and Barrett's and got some assdyphillis (sp?) tablets, and avoided sugar.

The Nystatin was rubbish, and we stuck with the Daktarin.

It did take a while to shift though.

flowers

Ekphrasis Thu 06-Apr-17 09:31:07

It could the the other way round; you're running low and so you're immune system isn't battling the thrush.

You could check with dr about things like vit d or iron levels but the best way to beat this is buckets of probiotics and lots of healthy greens / veg to support the bacteria that could rebalance the thrush over growth. Lots of plain Yeo valley yoghurt, porridge, low sugar etc. I think the healthy gut bacteria like a certain type of fibre (can't remember what).

A good probiotic is biokult from boots. I think acidophilus is the main thrush beating one. Usually in yoghurt.

It can be worth checking with dr as thrush can get out of hand due to other issues.

Goldfishjane Thu 06-Apr-17 10:41:17

thanks
I'm just puzzled because I was bursting with health immediately before this.

Also I got the impression the doc would have preferred to give me the tablets but he looked up interactions and said I couldn't take it with my other meds.

I will take the course of Nystatin he's given me but I will also pop out and get some acidophilus as I feel like I need something extra to beat this.

Ekphrasis Thu 06-Apr-17 11:14:48

Ah well maybe it's the thrush then. I have read it can affect your whole system in extreme cases. Or maybe you're battling a virus as well.

Goldfishjane Thu 06-Apr-17 11:29:08

Ekphrasis "Or maybe you're battling a virus as well."

that's what the doc said, he said the back of my throat is clear, my ears are clear, I'm not having any stomach upset that might indicate presence in the gut so he thought possibly a coincidence.

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 17:18:38

Gyou were right
Nystatin didn't clear it
I'm still exhausted and a bit mystified, what's going on? Googling didn't help, a lot of sites say it takes ages to clear.
Taking acidophilus. No help there.

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 14-Apr-17 17:21:59

Pop back to the docs and get some bloods done flowers

hairymuffet Fri 14-Apr-17 18:27:59

Fluconazole?

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 19:05:54

Michael, my bloods are done annually and in Jan they showed all well but I can ask.
Hairy, doc didn't want to give fluconazole as it apparently has a risk of interaction with another med.
I'll go back to the doc but I just thought I'd hop on here and see what others thought.

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 19:09:46

PS should add, three days into nystatin it looked like it was gone. Day five and it looked like day one! Weird.

DevonLulu Fri 14-Apr-17 19:10:58

Have you had an HIV test in those bloods...??

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Apr-17 19:15:28

Do not underestimate how crappy thrush in your mouth can make you feel.

Have you tried warm salt water rinses? And drinking ice cold drinks (won't cure the thrush but might help your mouth feel nicer)?

But you'll have to go back to your GP. No good to you now being Easter though.

I hope it clears up soon flowers

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Apr-17 19:19:00

Hmmm. Just saw your latest update. How are you applying the drops? Do you think you may have reinfected yourself? If you're using the dropper and it's come into contact with the thrush you could have inadvertently reinfected yourself-although it's unlikely because the medicine is of course antigungal.

So maybe I'm talking rubbish with that one. Sorry!

FoofFighter Fri 14-Apr-17 19:48:55

Lurking for answers as my OH has been fighting a nasty case of oral thrush for weeks. Swabs taken after two weeks of treatment with daktarin gel then nystatin didn't work, a further week of fluconazole with more gel seemed to work for a day or two now it's getting worse again. So G.P. again next week
A nurse friend suggested probiotics too.

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 20:01:41

Julia, I was really careful with the dropper.

Person who said HIV test, no, never had one. I'm not thinking that route though after one incidence of oral thrush.

Didn't say in first post - sorry!- I'm asthmatic.

I have rinsed my mouth after using my preventer at home, but one time this week I did have to use it while out. I think there are other preventer inhalers which are less likely to cause this so I'll ask, but I've used this one for years and never had oral thrush before.

user1471558436 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:09:54

Are you eating sugar in any form? I only get oral thrush at xmas when I eat sweet stuff

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Apr-17 20:25:50

Do you have a spacer for your inhaler? And do you clean your inhaler?

(I wasn't being rude about the dropper and reinfection thing btw-just trying to give you ideas. I'm sure there's a connection with inhalers and thrush, but it's been a long day and I can't think now, sorry)

More flowers because it's horrible-there's nothing worse than anmouth problem, just seems so ever-present.

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 20:46:56

Thanks Jukia, don't worry, I didn't think you were being rude at all.

I don't use a spacer, I do clean the inhaler. I guess I'm just surprised as it's never been an issue. I'm not sure I can get a spacer for symbicort? I'll look into it.

You're quite right, the ever present sore tongue is probably something more noticeable, maybe that's why it's bringing me down. I have gone back to running but feel very tired in odd bursts.

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Apr-17 20:56:06

You poor thing. Have you had your B12 level checked lately?

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 22:25:53

I don't think that B12 was on the tests specifically so I'll add that to the list, thanks.

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 22:27:47

Foof, did your DH take some probiotics? I can buy some tomorrow. My stomach is fine though so I'm a bit loathe to take stuff unless I really have to.

indyandlara Fri 14-Apr-17 22:35:16

Over the last few years I have had recurrent oral thrush several times and never got to the bottom of it. My gp suspects diabetes every time but tests are always clear. I always need fluconazole to clear it but can need to take it for up to 3 weeks to properly get rid.

It's very frustrating. Poor dental hygiene has a link to oral thrush but I see dentist every 6 months, never need treatment etc so rule that out too. Corsadyl gargles can help. Always throw out your toothbrush/ brush head. I actually soak my brush in Corsadyl between brushing. Feel it helps when I scrape my tongue?

I never get vaginal thrush and a locum did once suggest that my body my just react to infection/ exhaustion with oral thrush. I know it's coming now as I get a metallic taste in my mouth and often a very blocked up nose!

Hmmm. It's a proper pain!

hairymuffet Sat 15-Apr-17 10:03:37

Ah, I get it with inhalers too !
I use a spacer which helps.

Ekphrasis Sat 15-Apr-17 11:43:36

Ah ok I'm newly asthmatic and have had some tongue blooms. I have found probiotics helpful as well as brushing my tongue with a tooth brush. I sometimes opened the probiotics and put on my tongue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now