Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena running out of progesterone?

(6 Posts)
BeyondUser24601 Wed 05-Apr-17 14:37:58

I'm a bit of a hormonal mess at the moment - my mirena is not long off due for changing (maybe about September?). Do they start to run out of progesterone near the end of their life, so do you think it is that?

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Apr-17 14:47:20

I don't think it would be that - I was having mine changed this morning, and the GP told me that in Europe they are licensed for 7 years, and once you are 45, they can stay in 10 years

MiniMum97 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:45:22

They do get low on progesterone. If you have them for medical reasons they are changed more frequently for that reason. Go and ask for it to be changed.

WillWorkForShoes Fri 07-Apr-17 20:39:10

I think I'm experiencing a similar thing. Mine is due for change in August. I have started to get spotting around 'period' time. I've been told they're good for 7 years tho.

FuckyNell Fri 07-Apr-17 20:43:18

For hrt purposes the mirena is licensed for 4 years so not sure if that helps you

BeyondUser24601 Fri 07-Apr-17 20:48:32

Thanks for the replies!

I'm early thirties. My mum had early menopause, but not that early. Might be nice though, my family is done now grin

I'll make a Drs apt for after easter, see what they say smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now