Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

high cholesterol & pigging out

(3 Posts)
T00much Wed 05-Apr-17 11:14:44

I have recently been told to reduce my cholesterol and I've been doing really well. Dr wants it tested again in 5 months. Going on holiday in a couple of weeks - do I have to stick to my regime or can I just enjoy whatever I want for a week? Is it going to make a big difference & will it undo all my hard work over the last month? (I am otherwise fitish and well, don't smoke, weight ok etc)

PollyPerky Wed 05-Apr-17 12:47:28

I think that exercise is a big factor not just food. There is mixed evidence / opinions on whether reducing fat in food actually reduces cholesterol. Some experts believe it's refined carbs / sugar that is responsible, not fat.

I'm not sure what your regime is...? If it means replacing saturated fats with healthier fats then that's a good lifestyle measure forever. I doubt that one week is going to make any difference long term if you make changes for the rest of the time.

T00much Wed 05-Apr-17 15:51:34

Thanks Polly. Yes I'm replacing saturated fat with good fat. Interesting what you say about refined carbs and sugars. Will have a go at reducing those too (after hols 😊). I do need to do more exercise though, maybe this can be my motivation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now