Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Struggling with Fibroid pain in pregnancy.

(5 Posts)
lilyborderterrier Tue 04-Apr-17 09:12:00

I'm fed up and in painsadI'm 19 weeks pregnant and it was discovered on my 13 scan that I have a large 15cm by 15cm fibroid in there with the baby. I briefly saw a consultant 3 days later and he informed me that I'll be consultant led, have extra scans and need an MRI scan ( had it last friday, it was horrible) he told me briefly about maybe needing a caesarean and prescribed me codeine. But didn't really explain much more.
These last few weeks I've been in real pain and reluctantly been taking the prescribed codeine and using a hot water bottle. Yesterday I felt awful and hadn't really done much to wear myself out. So basically I'm feeling rubbish, fed up and not enjoying this much wanted 2nd pregnancy sad
I am Hoping that now I've had my MRI and after Monday my 20 week scan the consultant will get in touch again.

Has anyone got any advice, sympathy? Or similar stories to tell me about. Thank you x

lilyborderterrier Tue 04-Apr-17 16:15:44

Anyone ?

idlevice Tue 04-Apr-17 23:19:00

Did the consultant tell you the pain was from fibroid degeneration specifically? This is when the pregnancy competes with the blood supply to the fibroid and parts of the fibroid tissue effectively die off which causes extreme pain, akin to heart attack pain This can be seen on scans as the dying fibroid tissue shows up differently. I assume not, as otherwise you would be in absolute agony! I know as I had this from my fibroid at 24wks. Be aware this could occur & can cause premature labour due to the disturbance to the uterus. I was vomiting with the pain so you can't miss it! It should only last a short time, up to about 48hrs & is hellish as it can't be treated with strong enough
painkillers.

Anyway, I would guess the discomfort is due to the competing volume of fibroid versus baby. Hopefully it will ease up as time goes on and the uterus stretches even more, particularly in the third trimester when the whole lower segment of the uterus massively stretches. This was sufficient in my case to move the fibroid out of the way of the cervix so I was able to try labour naturally. I had not done any preparation for vaginal birth so I would advise preparing for both possibilities!

In terms of feeling rubbish make sure you are not anaemic at all as surprisingly that can go unnoticed. The only other thing I can think of is investigating support belts? Also if using heat for pain relief, make sure not to overheat. I always thought you shouldn't use heat in pregnancy but when I had the fibroid degeneration they used it in
hospital so used with care it must be ok.

lilyborderterrier Wed 05-Apr-17 07:52:34

Bless you for replying thank you x I was feeling better yesterday but it was a low point in Monday when I wrote this.
No the consultant meeting was very brief and he just prescribed codeine. Stupidly I've been on google and of course they show the worst case studies.
Thank to for your reply. I didn't think I was on horrendous pain but was close. I'm feel in such limbo with this pregnancy and this hideous fibroid inside me.

lilyborderterrier Wed 05-Apr-17 07:56:16

This is my 2nd baby and I had a water birth with torn placenta and surgery in 2013 so I'm ok with that. Didn't know about using heat. It it does ease the pain. I'll give it a week then contact the consultant as it'll be 2 weeks since my MRI.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now