Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Knee Pain help needed

(9 Posts)
DepPf Tue 04-Apr-17 08:57:51

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this. I am currently involved in a research project looking at Knee pain and how it affects peoples lives. The aim being to see if this is a reason why some people take longer to get better.

I'm looking for people aged 18-44 based in the UK who have knee pain and would be happy to answer a short survey. If this is you or you know someone who may be able to help, then please take part in our short survey. The link is below:

plymouth.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/dep_pf-study

It should only take a few minutes and all the questions are multiple choice! All answers are completely anonymous.

Thanks smile

Rudymentary Tue 04-Apr-17 09:01:57

I was just googling knee pain and then saw this thread pop up.
I'm 53 though so obviously on the knee scrap heap! grin

RupertsMum2 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:38:48

Yep, also 53 and on the scrap heap.

DepPf Tue 04-Apr-17 14:52:58

Sorry folks it's nothing personal! grin

Unfortunately I have to put an age limit somewhere, and the current research suggests it should be in the mid 40's.

ExConstance Tue 04-Apr-17 15:40:54

I'm insulted too - just because I'm over 45 doesn't mean I have a knee problem caused by being an overweight geriatric couch potato!
I suspect mine is caused in some way by a weak ankle, which I've had since going over sideways on my foot when misjudging a doorstep some years ago.

DepPf Tue 04-Apr-17 17:34:07

Hi ExConstance,
Please do not feel insulted by this. The figure of 44 is taken from research which has already been conducted. The reasoning behind this is to try and limit any overlap between isolated Patellofemoral Pain (the condition we are interested in) and changes which may come from other causes. Obviously as we age we accumulate more of these changes (due to injuries like you mentioned) and so other factors come into play.
With this kind of research we try to reduces these factors as much as possible, hence the upper age limit.
Interestingly from my own experience, I would guess about 20% of knee problems are actually caused by the foot/ankle as you you suspect is your case. They generally (and it is a big generalisation!) respond really well treatment such as balance or strengthening work for the ankle.
I hope that helps.

BestIsWest Tue 04-Apr-17 19:41:54

Thank you. That is interesting. I'm also 53 so too old for your survey but have twice broken the ankle of the leg in which I have knee pain. Have been give balancing exercises..

DepPf Thu 13-Apr-17 11:22:49

Bump for the Bank Holiday!

DancingLedge Thu 13-Apr-17 11:29:01

exConstance Echo the feet, gait ankle etc profoundly affecting my knee.A referral to NHS podiatry has been v helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now