Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bells palsy

(5 Posts)
ThorsMistress Mon 03-Apr-17 17:09:40

I've just been diagnosed with mild Bell's palsy sad I've been given steroids and told that it will get better in a few weeks. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm too scared to Google and to be honest I'm scared.

redpriestandmozart Mon 03-Apr-17 21:07:45

I didn't want to read and run, yes I have had Bells and it was completely uneventful, slowly went away. My GP at the time told me to measure my recover in weeks rather than days, I couldn't see the improvement daily but friends who didn't see me for a day or two or a week noticed I was improving. Don't worry, stop looking in the mirror and don't be scared, I know it is easy to say that but after a day or two you won't worry as much.

Milliways Tue 04-Apr-17 07:36:46

My son had this when he was 4 so had loads of extra tests as very unusual at that age. Took about 10 days before his face was moving again (but with no steroids) and he had tired face muscles (easily drooped) for several months afterwards, but made a full recovery and despite being warned it could happen again, he is now 21 and not had any problems.

AGapInTheMarket Tue 04-Apr-17 07:40:55

I've had it fully twice and partially once. Seen neurologist etc and had scans but just 'unlucky'. Feels dreadful and scary but try not to panic. Unfortunately I've had only partial recovery from my last bout (5+yrs ago) and can't raise my right eyebrow anymore! There's also a definite weakness in my right eye and side of my mouth but it mainly only affects me when I try to blow up balloons. Lucky I don't play a wind instrument. My mum has had some nerve problems including carpal tunnel and peripheral neuropathy so there may be a genetic component.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 04-Apr-17 07:44:51

I had mild Bell's palsy after giving birth to my eldest. It completely disappeared within a fortnight (with no treatment other than using a lubricating eye drop when I needed it), and it's never returned.

I noticed it most when I was brushing my teeth, but generally forgot about it through the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now