Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chest pain after food stuck?

(12 Posts)
Koosh90 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:04:36

Yesterday I got a crisp stuck in my throat. Took a while to get it down with water and my throat was sore for the rest of the day. Today it still hurts, however now every time I swallow I get a pain in my chest just behind my breastbone. It only lasts a second or two but I'm a little worried. Can't see my GP until tomorrow so thought I'd post and see if anyone has any advice 😊

SlB09 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:08:14

Wouldnt worry, sounds like crisp related throat scratch!

Crumbs1 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:46:34

Why would you see a GP for a slightly scratched throat? It will be better by tomorrow probably.

Koosh90 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:53:19

I'm not seeing my GP for a slightly scratchy throat-I'm seeing my GP for the chest pain I get every time I swallow as I wasn't sure if it was related or could be something else that would need checking out.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 02-Apr-17 16:47:50

Sounds like it could be stuck lower down. Has it eased since this morning?

Hazyjinty Sun 02-Apr-17 17:05:01

If you've actually aspirated and a bit of crisp has entered your lung you will need antibiotics. Chest pain should not be ignored even if it's due to muscular strain from the coughing associated with choking, go tomorrow if it's still ongoing

SlB09 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:51:28

Honestly, this does not warrant a GP visit! Your oesaphagus is exactly where your describing, it hurts every time you swallow, theres an obvious cause and timeline. Common sense approach is all thats needed! If you were sweaty, the pain was spreading, it came on suddenly or you just felt 'not right' then yes be worried but otherwise just be sensible.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 02-Apr-17 18:00:33

Ignore SlB09

You got a crisp stuck in your THROAT and your CHEST now hurts. Worst advice ever saying it doesn't warrant a GP visit.

Koosh90 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:05:04

Thank you to those who gave helpful replies 😊 No, it hasn't eased since this morning and ibuprofen isn't helping either. (I'm allergic to paracetamol). I can barely eat or drink as it's so painful each time I swallow-even if I just swallow water or my own phlegm.
For a same day appointment I have to speak to my GP over the phone anyway so I'll let him decide if I need an appointment.

SlB09 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:08:27

Behind the breastbone - exactly where your 'throat' decends to. He/she asked for advice and that is mine. It maybe wouldnt be your advice but please be respectful of others opinions.

boolifooli Sun 02-Apr-17 18:13:52

Was it definitely lodged in your food pipe yesterday? Does it hurt when you take a breath? To me it sounds like the crisp scratched your food pipe. Can you take aspirin? I'd eat soft food for a couple of days

Koosh90 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:18:17

Yes it was immediately after I swallowed that it got stuck. So say when I swallow now I get an instant pain in my throats from where the crisp was stuck and then a second or so later I get the pain in my chest. I can take aspirin but don't have any in, could get some tomorrow though 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now