We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calling 111

(41 Posts)
GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 09:03:49

I am in the worst pain of my life. I called 111 as I don't know what other options. They said they'd call back but it's been an hour an X I don't know what to do I don't know how serious this is

Dementedswan Sun 02-Apr-17 09:06:12

Where is the pain? If it's that bad go to a and e. Hope you are OK.

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 09:11:36

Thanks. Unfortunately pain is in my leg from knee to toe. Can't move without screaming. I'm like 70% sure this is my arthritis, I get flare ups but this has been the absolute worst. Thrown up twice due to pain. I'm loathe to go higher as I just don't know if it's arthritis and I just don't know. Painkillers haven't touched it

FallenSky Sun 02-Apr-17 09:12:17

Agree with demented, just go to A&E if it is that severe. Is it a new unexplained pain or do you know the reason for it?

FallenSky Sun 02-Apr-17 09:13:32

Cross post. I definitely think A&E if so severe you are throwing up and painkillers aren't helping. At least if it is your arthritis they can hopefully sort your pain levels out.

NormaSmuff Sun 02-Apr-17 09:14:48

is you leg red anywhere?

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 09:15:37

There is unfortunately no way got me to get to a and e, I'm disabled, no transport, I can't even move my foot. Has anyone used 111? I thought they may help decide if I need more help but just questions no answers. I dint sleep at as ll last night just lay in agony. I ended up breaking down crying to her on the phone.

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 09:18:04

I don't even know if my leg is red I'm stuck in a dark room I can't even put light on. I don't think I've cried as much as last night since I wad a baby. I'm so alone and I just don't know east to do now

ScarlettDarling Sun 02-Apr-17 09:25:29

Did the 111 operator not give you a time that they'd ring you back? They usually do. Ring them back. Explain that you really need advice immediately. They may send out an ambulance if they think you need one.

I'm sorry you're going through this alone, you must feel very scared. Is there no family or friend you could ring?

Madratlady Sun 02-Apr-17 09:27:12

111 works by assessing the symptoms and advising what the right level of care is. They should have told you who was calling back - a nurse from the 111 service? An out of hours Gp? And a time it should be within. It is ok to call again and ask who is going to call you and how long it might be.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 02-Apr-17 09:28:23

Call them back - or call 999 you can't carry on like this. What pain relief do you have access to? can you call someone? family ? friend? to get you your meds?

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 09:36:37

Thanks all for replying. I'm so exhaysted I just can't judge for myself anymore. I took some solpadol earlier as the strongest I have but didn't notice any relief. I called them back but they just say they are busy and I guess no blood and the fact I said I had arthritis makes Mr less priority. I would gladly cut this leg off niw for some sleep. I can't take more drugs as I only had a couple of crackers left by bed. I think I have to just wait for 111 and hope. I'm so worried it isn't arthritis but something broken as I'd be housebound, my hands are too bad to use crutch es. Panic panic. Thanks for keeping me company this is when I feel loneliest when I'm bad

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 09:37:58

I also just moved back to this area after 12 years in London so I'm not familiar with services here yet

TheoriginalLEM Sun 02-Apr-17 10:26:34

I hope they get back to you soon x

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Sun 02-Apr-17 10:34:46

2 hours 30 since I called. Theye not calling back. I'd pay anything for sleep

TheoriginalLEM Sun 02-Apr-17 10:38:30

sadly i think the average is about 4 hours for a non-priority call. It's a crap system.

NormaSmuff Sun 02-Apr-17 10:38:40

do you have a gp?

Bleurghghghgh Sun 02-Apr-17 10:40:23

If you're stuck in a dark room and still can't move for pain I think you need to call an ambulance

Footle Sun 02-Apr-17 10:40:36

In that case you have to call 999. This is an emergency. They will help you. 111 will probably call an ambulance for you anyway.

Footle Sun 02-Apr-17 10:42:01

If you think using the word 'arthritis' has moved you down the priority list, don't use it. Just explain the severity of your disability and current pain.

Lunde Sun 02-Apr-17 10:43:05

With the levels of pain you are suffering you need to call an ambulance

Dementedswan Sun 02-Apr-17 10:45:10

How are you op? Hope you have medical help by now.

foamybananasweets Sun 02-Apr-17 10:45:51

If you were to call 999 you would most likely be looking at a 4h response time, so you could potentially be looking at 6h (assuming 111 take another 2h to call you back) if you need to go to A&E. if the pain is so bad you can't move, and you have nobody you can call to help you get to an out of hours go or similar,

You need to try to find out if your leg is red or has a warm patch. That would indicate a more serious issue and you would need an ambulance

Hope you get some help. I'll be thinking of you.

TheBogQueen Sun 02-Apr-17 11:06:46

Phone back tell them pain is worse

Badders123 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:06:32

My son waited 4 hours for an ambulance last week for suspected appendicitis
The paramedic gave him some morphine which helped til they got there
It's a mess
The whole system is crumbling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now