Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Tight band around upper stomach and rib pain

(67 Posts)
VLCos Sat 01-Apr-17 07:42:44

Hello , I have been suffering with pain around my right ribs which spreads to the left. I am awaiting an appointment for an abdomen ultrasound. I had a chest X-ray and bloods which were clear.
When eating now especially bread or potatoes I have this tight band feeling around the area just below the breasts . As well as the rib pain.
Day on day the pain is worse. But I still don't have my appointment yet. I'm concerned I can't carry on like this for weeks. If I go back to GP could they speed things up ?

OP’s posts: |
PopcornBits Wed 05-Apr-17 19:21:40

P.s you're meant to follow a low fat diet. But if you're anything like what I was, you'll notice that almost anything can set it off.
I know I shouldn't suggest this but I didn't follow the diet mostly because I didn't want to make myself anymore depressed than I already was with the pain (let's face it, it wasn't going to go away by eating low fat anyway!) so I ate what I wanted. Buscopan is good for stopping those cramps and spasms. If anybody has any take diclofenac, or codeine, you're generally going to want to take anything that's a powerful painkiller.

VLCos Wed 05-Apr-17 19:34:46

Thank you !Reassures me to know loose stools is part of it.
It says that on a lot of symptom checkers online to.
Was your pain there quite often or did it go ? I will let you know thank you !

VLCos Wed 05-Apr-17 19:36:36

Actually I do find literally anything is setting it of. Even a banana yesterday . Your right what's the point cutting everything out if it doesn't matter to much !

PopcornBits Wed 05-Apr-17 19:44:48

I had pain every single bloody day. It would happen even if I didn't eat, and sometimes I just didn't want to because it hurt so much. I had loose stools every morning, it's normal for them to change colour as well if you have gallbladder problems it's because the fat isn't being absorbed properly it can cause pale stool.

Just watch out for things like, a fever, feeling sick/being sick, jaundice those are signs of an infection and you do need to go a&e for that I'm afraid.
I never went as I have a 4 yr old and no family close by, so I used to pass out from the pain! Bad really but it's done now and I don't suffer anymore.
Every time I eat something (especially cake) I'm grateful for not feeling that pain anymore. Very grateful.

piefacedClique Wed 05-Apr-17 19:46:57

Sounds like gallstones. Does it occasionally spread across your back? Mine would begin top right, spread across abdomen and around back in to shoulders. Usually with lots of burping and sometimes sickness! Hope you feel better

VLCos Wed 05-Apr-17 20:08:37

Every single day for me to argh! Loose stools every morning to !. I would have gone to A & E at weekend but had my 4 and 2 year alone and didn't want to drag them along.
Oh wow passing out that must have been so bad bet your glad its over !

VLCos Wed 05-Apr-17 20:09:47

piefacedClique definitely goes into the abdomen and back. Feels quite gassy at time did you find that ?

piefacedClique Wed 05-Apr-17 20:18:14

Yes definitely. I was constantly belching like a frog! I too had the lighter stools and really severe vomiting..... like needed to redo irate the bathroom type vomiting! I was given a great painkiller called neproxin which helped loads. I had mine out mid jab and all the symptoms have gone. Feel much better

kormachameleon Wed 05-Apr-17 20:25:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BettyOBarley Wed 05-Apr-17 20:33:00

I read your title and came on to say it sounds like gallstones and try buscopan! It was the only thing that gave me any relief during an attack. Cake and chocolate were the worst things for setting mine off.

VLCos Thu 06-Apr-17 09:59:59

Thanks all !
Got up today thought yay doesn't feel to bad. Did school run and ate something plain. It's back Grr. I am tempted to pay to have it done private. Could get it done by early next week if I did

VLCos Thu 06-Apr-17 12:55:56

Any of you lovely people who had your gallbladder removed . Did anything show on your blood tests before diagnosis? Got my bloods back today everything fine apart from potassium slightly elevated 5.7 normal range 3.5 to 5.3 so not massively over. But needs to repeated . Google tells me this is a sign of gallbladder problems and kidney issues .

Eolian Thu 06-Apr-17 12:59:49

If you want to avoid any more attacks before having your gallbladder out, you have to be absolutely strict about the low fat diet (in my experience). I waited over 6 months for the operation and didn't eat any meal with more than 10g of fat in for that whole 6 months! The one time I (accidentally) did, agony.

Badders123 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:02:11

I went private after they cancelled my op 3 times

Oncandystripedlegs Thu 06-Apr-17 14:32:50

Those of you who went private, how much did it cost?

I am really gassy too but touch wood, pain not too bad today

VLCos Thu 06-Apr-17 14:46:04

The ultrasound is 99 pounds in Manchester. Doesn't seem to bad to just get some answers . Although my doctor says she has elevated the scab request from 1 to 5 whatever that means ! I still have the pain with low fat to. I am eating a very bland diet !

VLCos Thu 06-Apr-17 14:46:32

#scan

VLCos Fri 07-Apr-17 14:04:10

Hi all have managed to get a cancellation scan for Tuesday which is good news ! They said they had 2000 people waiting for a scan !

Oncandystripedlegs Fri 07-Apr-17 16:55:37

Oh that is good !Hope you get some answers. I have had a few nagging pains which make feel anxious that I am going to have another big attack . Buscapen seems to help though and a hot water bottle

trinity0097 Fri 07-Apr-17 20:48:32

About £5800 if you go with BMI healthcare, plus a £200 visit to the surgeon beforehand.

I had mine out a few weeks ago, had to go private as the NHS were leaving me in agony!

If you are in the Surrey/Hampshire area you want Mr Menezes - he works out of St. Peter's as an NHS surgeon too, and IMHO is an expert gallbladder guy!

nackle Fri 07-Apr-17 20:58:13

I had similar symptoms Op. Gastritis diagnosis after
having an endoscopy and prescribed Omeprazole.
Upshot was horrendous stomach pain - so painful I couldn't
move, followed by having to dash to the loo. I felt like I was dying.
Dr Goole was consulted and it turns out to be a rare side effect
of Omeprazole.

VLCos Fri 07-Apr-17 21:04:10

Ah that is interesting !, I have had gastritis previously . If scan shows nothing GP says endoscopy is next port of call. But with this under right rib is throbbing,which is a new thing

Sunnyshores Fri 07-Apr-17 21:10:53

I had pains with pretty much anything I ate. After 2 months of absolute agony, several ambulance trips to A&E, I had my gallbladder removed and it was in a real state, completly infected apparently.

Went privately about 7 years ago £3000 but I was in hospital 6 days (as not keyhole surgery in the end) and that cost an extra £1500

VLCos Tue 11-Apr-17 12:08:35

Had my scab today . Definitely gallstones showed me on screen looked about 10-15 small ones!,

Oncandystripedlegs Tue 11-Apr-17 14:01:53

I was just thinking of you ! Glad you got some answers . As awful as gallstones are at least there is a solution. How are you feeling ? I haven't had any further attacks but v uncomfortable and bloated .
Do you have to wait to see a surgeon now?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in