Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

burning when using canestan

(11 Posts)
badmotherplucker Fri 31-Mar-17 20:10:05

Hi, my first posting. I have had a slight discharge and itching and bought some canestan for vaginosis. It comes in small tubes containing one dose and you insert it as far as you can and squeeze the contents out. I have only done one tube and it burned my insides like it was acid. frightened to try it again, has anyone else experienced this?

Minime85 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:27:03

Yes I can't use canestan at all. You used to be able to get a different one on prescription but been problems in its manufacturing. Could try a natural remedy instead like the ones in boots. I use a gyn gel which is really good

badmotherplucker Sun 02-Apr-17 04:42:03

Thanks Mini, I will try another treatment. I haven't used anything like this before and was shocked at how painful it was.

PollyPerky Sun 02-Apr-17 07:30:54

How do you know it's vaginosis? Have you had swabs taken and a diagnosis via your GP?
Canestan is for thrush- nothing else.

You need a proper diagnosis and corect treatment.

PollyPerky Sun 02-Apr-17 07:36:53

Vaginosis is not thrush and according to this it needs treating with antibiotics in some cases.

You need to see your GP and not use treatments that aren't suitable.

teainbed Sun 02-Apr-17 07:42:33

Canestan do make a bacterial vaginosis treatment, what did you buy OP?

badmotherplucker Sun 02-Apr-17 13:38:54

Hi I googled the symptoms and it said vaginal bacteriosis, never had anything like this so bought canestan bacterial vaginosis gel treatment. It comes in 7 small tubes which I suppose are pessaries, but I cant use them stung me like razor blades. I am going to the doctors but next appointment is in two weeks.

Thank you all for replies

cudbywestrangers Sun 02-Apr-17 15:23:29

Your best bet might be a sexual health clinic. They should be able to offer an appointment within 48 hours and the chances are you would get the correct diagnosis and treatment straight away... if it's bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis they might see it under the microscope

badmotherplucker Sun 02-Apr-17 19:20:24

I have been celibate for ten years cudby, would feel too embarrassed to go to a sexual health clinic.

cudbywestrangers Sat 08-Apr-17 10:10:33

Sorry I missed your reply. Sexual health clinics are not just for sti's and are attended by all sorts of people with genital symptoms. They are the best place to get quick diagnosis and treatment for symptoms like yours. Anyway, sales pitch over, I hope you have been seen and treated so are feeling better

Hulder Sat 08-Apr-17 10:41:41

Def go to a sexual health clinic - they are the experts on this and also expert on being completely anonymous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: