Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had experience of complaining to PALs

(12 Posts)
BG2015 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:44:22

I thought I was on the waiting list for a hysterectomy. 7 weeks later (and three phone calls in between to the consultants secretary) I discover I'm not on any waiting list.

The consultant I saw 7 weeks ago was only advising me apparently - which is bollocks.

Even during the 3 conversations I had with his secretary not once did they tell me I WASNT on the waiting list. I rang up each time to find out.

I'm going to complain to PALs but will it do any good.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 31-Mar-17 17:45:42

The role of PALS is to smooth things over, so if you thought you were on the list and that's where you want to be, they should be able to help you achieve that.

If you're hopping mad and you want someone's head on a plate, you could follow the complaints procedure, which will be on the website. In my experience that produces an interesting reaction.

BG2015 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:52:53

Thanks for your reply.

I presumed I was on the waiting list after seeing a female consultant on February 10th. I've spoken to them three times to find out when I could expect to be operated on and they just told me 18 weeks. I even have her my NHS number only to be told again it's 18 weeks. She didn't ever tell me I WASNT on the list.

Yesterday I got an appointment through from the consultant whose going to do the operation for the 20th April hence me ringing AGAIN today, only to be told that I'm not on a waiting list and won't be until I see him.

meadowlark3 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:53:48

Yes, PALS can be for positive or negative feedback. In your case, I would go straight to a formal complaint. Sorry you have to deal with this.

BG2015 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:55:10

If I complain, who am I complaining about? The secretary for misleading me?

No point whatsoever seeing the consultant in Feb, I'd have been better waiting to see the consultant that matters. I've been bleeding since May last year. I'm desperate.

Ellapaella Fri 31-Mar-17 19:05:00

You are complaining about the fact that the consultant lead you to believe you were to be listed for the operation. The secretary is guilty of perhaps not actually checking to be sure you had been listed when you rang. I think I it will be a case of finding out what was documented on the notes at the time of your first appointment. If your consultant wanted to list you for the op at that time she would have documented that, then whoever is responsible for the list should have put your name in it, they will be in trouble for breaching the 18 week pathway too so could be trying to fob you off.
Go to PALS first, they can probably resolve it and if no joy put in a formal complaint.
Your GP should have a copy of the initial consultation letter and should be able to tell you if the consultant wished to list you at that initial appointment. Check with your GP and then start with PALS and go from there.

londonloves Fri 31-Mar-17 19:21:01

You won't get someone's head on a plate via the complaints process. Ella gives good advice though. Your Gp should have a summary letter of your appointments.

BG2015 Sun 02-Apr-17 07:57:23

Thanks for your advice. I'm a lot calmer now but still very annoyed.

I'm going to see my GP next week to check what my consultant has said and then write a letter of complaint

missyB1 Sun 02-Apr-17 08:02:04

Definitely complain it sounds like a cock up, or even (cynical me) an attempt to buy time on the waiting list / massage the figures. Name the people involved and just give a factual account of what happened. An investigation will be carried out.

Hulder Sun 02-Apr-17 11:24:53

This is a really good case for PALS.

They will be very quickly be able to speak to those involved to see what is in the letter, if it isn't in the letter what was meant and take it forward.

Going to see your GP unfortunately only takes up a GP appointment when the letter should be sent to you anyway, the GP doesn't know any more than you do and can't influence the consultant one way or another.

This sort of issue is right up PALS' street. Also PALS generally sit in the same office as Complaints anyway - they are very closely linked.

SilverDragonfly1 Sun 02-Apr-17 15:08:03

I've complained about the same issue twice (two separate incidences, same hospital), once directly to the hospital dept and once via PALS. I got a much faster and more complete response from going via PALS.

BG2015 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:54:41

I've officially complained this afternoon. Sent an email to PALs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now