Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma at what age can it be diagnosed in a child

(5 Posts)
Valbr123789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:44:44

My son age 5 suffers I think of asthma since a very early age. I would like my doctor to refer me to see a paediatrician since over the past 3-4 months even a mild wet nose (early onset of a cold) will trigger the cough, and when there is an abrupt change of weather from cold/hot/windy. I would like him to have a blood test to determine whether he is allergy prone. Though my doctor says he is too young? is this the case? I would also like to know how bad it is. He is now on 3 different puffers brown, blue, and green, he has had coughs a week on and off over the past 3 months.

wfrances Fri 31-Mar-17 17:27:06

dd was diagnosed at 18 months
emergency admission to children's assessment ward
she spent 3 days there ,trying to sort her breathing out ,it was awful.
she did have severe eczema and was allergic to milk from birth,
so it made a diagnosis of asthma more likely , as she got older she developed hay fever , chronic rhinitis and more allergies

m0therofdragons Fri 31-Mar-17 17:32:00

Dd was given a suggested diagnoses yesterday and is 5. First spoke about it with gp 2 years ago. No need to see paediatrician as he suggested we try puffers and see the results -last night she slept through without coughing for the first time in weeks! This difference was almost instant and I felt guilty I'd not pursued it previously. I have asthma and dd was prem and had respiratory problems in scbu so not overly surprised

afatalflaw Fri 31-Mar-17 17:42:42

We were told with both DDs that under 5 was too early to tell for sure - possibly just in their case as pp DD is younger - but both were admitted to hospital for nebulisers and steroids more than once and both (now over 5) have inhalers. I would just take him to the GP and go from there if an emergency situation hasn't arisen to force the issue.

LapdanceShoeshine Fri 31-Mar-17 17:47:12

DD2 was diagnosed early enough that she was given some syrup (though I forget now what it was) rather than an inhaler. Piriton maybe?

Hers was not as acute as some but she went on to use inhalers through primary school & into secondary. She grew out of it (playing flute helped as it developed her lung capacity & increased peak flow). Still gets occasional reactions to pollen & cats but it's more eyes than lungs.

Anyway I reckon she was under 2 when first diagnosed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now