Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lens Induced Myopia

(2 Posts)
eyesee Thu 30-Mar-17 10:34:34

What do people think about this? Basically the assertion is that negative prescription lens wear increases myopia. Here is some research:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745013/

(There is more that is just an an example)

My personal (and anecdotal) experience is that I have found doing eye exercises and wearing my older & weaker prescription glasses (when I can! Lots in life is dependent on good vision) seems to improve my visual acuity. (I can see pretty clearly through -4.5 lenses & my strongest prescription was -7.25)

However the subject seems very controversial. One optician was interested when she saw my eyes had improved and I mentioned it. However when I mentioned eye exercises to another optician I felt like I got a 'telling off!' - and then he proceeded to give me an increased prescription which was higher than I had expected.

I try to practice good eye habits, like not sitting for too long and too close to screens and making sure I read and do close work in good light also.

Just wondered what people think.

eyesee Thu 30-Mar-17 11:05:56

More research about the effect of wearing reduced strength lenses:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278587/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now