Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thickened womb lining

(13 Posts)
hippoinamudhole Tue 28-Mar-17 16:15:50

I have been told i have thickening of the womb lining and referred to hospital on a 2 week wait. I'm really worried it may be cancerous

Has anyone had this and what was your outcome.

Nospringflower Tue 28-Mar-17 16:18:59

Have you symptoms that meant you were being investigated? Have they said what else it could be? I dont know much about it but am thinking there are probably a few reasons why you might get this?

Hope you get good news.

hippoinamudhole Tue 28-Mar-17 16:27:15

Yes i had spotting between my periods twice last year (October and November) went to the doctor in December and was sent for an ultrasound scan. January's period was nearly 3 weeks late (and very long) and pretty wacky with heavy spotting between January and February but since then and my march period everything's been as it normally was.

The sonographer said the lining was a bit thick and the doctor said she would refer me

minifingerz Tue 28-Mar-17 16:56:35

Me. It's a common diagnosis. I had a hysteroscopy - couldn't see anything worrying. Just waiting for the results of the biopsy to come back but I'm not massively worried.

hippoinamudhole Tue 28-Mar-17 17:06:52

Thanks minifingerz. I didn't realise it was common.
I have an appointment on Monday and not really sure what they will do. I have the leaflet about all the tests they could do but I'm one of those people who like it spelt out

Watto1 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:09:42

Me too. Was having investigations for heavy periods. All tests came back negative. I was told that the thickening was probably due to my age!

RainySummer Tue 28-Mar-17 17:16:26

Me too! My womb lining is 19mm, recently had hysteroscopy (everything looked fine) and biopsy which showed simple hyperplasia. The nurse who did the procedure was very reassuring and thought it was most likely just my age (45) and I'm heading for menopause. Unfortunately DM and GM both had endometrial cancer so I've to have follow up scans and biopsies just as a precaution. I found the biopsy a bit painful (but only for a few seconds). Please try not to worry - and don't scare yourself with Dr Google.

hippoinamudhole Tue 28-Mar-17 17:47:56

That's the problem summer, Google has me dead and buried before the weeks out.

I'm 46 so hopefully they'll say it's my age too. I have no history of female cancers in the family only my GF with stomach cancer

AmyFlower Tue 28-Mar-17 17:53:32

I've had this too - I was mid-forties at the time- I had a hysteroscopy with biopsy, all results were fine.

RainySummer Tue 28-Mar-17 20:52:56

Awe, I totally understand - I was / am the same. Every forum I came across seemed to have women with my symptoms and it was all bad news. But you have to remember that it's often only the tiny proportion of people who have a story to tell that take the time to post, the vast majority that get good news just go on their merry way.

Best of luck - fingers crossed you're just having a wild fluctuation of hormones like me!

Crumbs1 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:12:50

I had a thickening picked up as incidental finding on MRI for something else. I am taking Tamoxifen so high risk of endometrial cancer and got a referral for hysteroscopy and biopsy. Not most pleasant procedure but not awful and over quickly. The consultant gynaecologist was lovely. Once she'd had a look she said I didn't need a biopsy as thickened patch was tiny and not causing problems. In her opinion it wasn't cancerous just a slightly calcified fibroid.
No further follow up or treatment needed.

hippoinamudhole Tue 28-Mar-17 21:31:04

You're right, i know you are, i think its more the uncertainty of it all.

80schild Tue 28-Mar-17 21:36:15

Look up adenomyosis - result can be a thickened womb lining and dodgy menstrual cycle. I have been told I have this by a sonographer but when I went to hospital I was told it wasn't abnormal enough to make a definitive diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now