Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fungally Bloody Toenail

(12 Posts)
cauliwobbles Mon 27-Mar-17 19:41:28

I have a fungussy nail on my big toe, (podiatrist says is definitely fungus) it looks awful and is getting to be painful as nail is lifting away from bed. I have used the topical stuff for a couple of years, every morning and evening and it's not stopped it getting worse.

Receptionist at Dr's refusing to give me an appointment saying they'll just tell me to is the topical stuff for even longer and I've almost no chance of them prescribing me the antifungal pill you can take. Have gone through this with them three times.

Has anyone any tips on anything I can do to get rid of it or do I just ask if they'll write me a private prescription and I'll pay for the tablet? I'm otherwise healthy, no liver or kidney issues just a pretty disgusting looking sore toenail sad.

I know not serious but am fed up paying for the stuff to paint on and it doing nothing.

PonderLand Mon 27-Mar-17 19:46:05

I don't know if you've tried it but whenever I have a toe infection or nasty nail I bathe my foot in a tub of hot salt water. It seems to clean the infection up. I'm sure you've tried it but just wanted to let you know smile

cauliwobbles Mon 27-Mar-17 19:52:13

Tried Vicks, Tea Tree, Vinegar and hot salty water and hydrogen peroxide. No joy yet 😩. Thank you though cx

cestlavielife Mon 27-Mar-17 20:25:05

Go see a private podiatrist / chiropodist see what they say

LegoStarWars Mon 27-Mar-17 20:39:48

I had the tablets on prescription a few years ago - not sure if guidance has changed or if your doctors is just particularly strict.

I found them to work really well - basically the yucky nail fell off (not painful at all), then a shiny new nail grew, fungus free. Takes a few months but I'd recommend them.

They can affect your liver, so I had to have a liver test first to make sure it was okay to start them, then a bit later after I'd been taking them to make sure they weren't causing problems.

Twinkie1 Tue 28-Mar-17 05:12:53

Thanks guys, been to see a podiatrist and they've said definitely fungal 😩.

Says if I've exhausted all topical methods I can have nail removed or get tablets but can't even get appointment when I tell receptionist what's wrong, they just say I won't get prescribed tablets.

If they work as you say they do I'm going to fight them (or pay to see a private GP) as I just want normal, pretty unhurty toenails (and to be able to go for a bloody pedicure).

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 28-Mar-17 07:16:42

Tell receptionist you don't want to say what the issue is next time you ring for an app - it's none of their business and you don't have to tell them your medical problems

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 28-Mar-17 07:18:11

And Vicks and the varnish worked for me but took ages - but you said you've tried all topical stuff

LegoStarWars Tue 28-Mar-17 13:34:25

Yes I'd say don't tell the receptionist next time, say you're only willing to discuss it with the doctor. The doctor may say the same, of course, but at least you've got more of a chance.

Twinkie1 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:07:48

Will do. Am off to see them tomorrow.

Thank you.

BunloafAndCrumpets Tue 28-Mar-17 17:15:20

I went to a private podiatrist. They removed the fungally bit. Hurt a lot for a week after. Has been a million times better since! Hope you feel better soon x

GoodDayToYou Tue 28-Mar-17 17:23:56

Try a foot bath of sodium bicarbonate in water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now