We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flat feet

(11 Posts)
Rightontheschnozz Mon 27-Mar-17 17:20:26

Does anyone else have ridiculously flat feet. Ive always had no arch support. My mum took me as a child, to the hospital for X-rays on my feet. They didn't see an issue with the structure and never offered any help. I've tried arch supports in my shoes and they seem to just slide about all over the shop and never seem to help. Can anyone recommend anything else? I'd go back to the Drs but i cant see as how they can do a deal for me really. I've noticed more and more than i get a dull ache in my heel and i have really hard callouses on my feet. I can't wear pretty shoes for long and heels are a no go. Its just slightly depressing and I'm not sure what to do.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 27-Mar-17 17:25:29

Have a Google for flat foot exercises - there's lots of stuff out there you can do to try and fix your alignment​ and try and build some strength in your feet.

Rightontheschnozz Mon 27-Mar-17 17:41:31

Thanks. I'm on my feet more than I'm used to these days and it's started to take its toll. I even feel my ankles constantly clicking when I walk.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 27-Mar-17 17:45:48

Sorting your feet should help with the ankle clicking too smile

Despite the shitty chick-lit cover this book is very good

www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Womans-Guide-Foot-Relief/dp/1936661071?tag=mumsnetforum-21

FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 27-Mar-17 17:48:13

I have very flat feet and had surgery on them as a child but even at the time I think they agreed it didn't do much. I too have very hard callouses on my feet, I assume from where the weight is poorly distributed. I've had uncomfortable feet for a lot of years! Now I tend to live in uggs, haviana flip flops in the summer and marks "footglove" shoes when I need something more formal. If I want to look good then I am inevitably in pain. So no advice but solidarity!

Mermaidinthesea Mon 27-Mar-17 17:51:29

Arch supports are useless, the problem is rearfoot hyper-pronation making your feet look flat and having the appearance of bulging at the medial malleolus, it can be disabling eventually and cause ankle, knee, hip and back pain.
You need to get your feet properly cast with plaster, foam or similar and insoles made for you.
I make them for NHS patients but you'll get better insoles if you can find a private biomechanics place that has a cad cam machine.
They can do insoles for dress shoes also.

Mermaidinthesea Mon 27-Mar-17 17:52:20

There is no approved surgery for flat feet don't even go there.

WorshipTheGourd Mon 27-Mar-17 18:03:18

Mermaid that is very helpful, thankyou.

coffeecakemum Mon 27-Mar-17 18:17:23

I hope you don't mind me asking. I have flat feet too and find it hard to run on a treadmill. I always brisk walk or jog v slowly. Also it's very hard to find trainers which doesn't cause pain and burning in my shin. Does anyone have any tips?

Rightontheschnozz Mon 27-Mar-17 19:00:57

I can't jog or run as it causes my shins to splinter. I find spin classes better as there's very little pressure on the foot. Thankyou for the recommendations. I'll look into them all.

FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 27-Mar-17 19:57:41

Mermaid my surgery was done on the NHS in the 80s.... do they not do it anymore?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now