Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you expect to have seen your consultant when you've had an operation

(5 Posts)
twoandahalftimesthree Mon 27-Mar-17 16:11:19

Just wondering if this is normal in the NHS. I had a knee arthroscopy last week and was told I'd have a follow up with my consultant after 6 weeks. The appointment has just come through for June, 11 weeks after procedure.
Not a massive issue in itself but I haven't seen the consultant other than once moths ago now.
At my pre op appt I was given a checklist of people I had to see and the consultant was on it but when I asked they said he wasn't in so I couldn't see him. Nor did I see him on the day when he did my procedure (other than a glimpse of him as I was taken into theatre) When I came round from the anaesthetic a physio came to see me and showed me some photos of my knee but he didn't seem to have any idea of what they'd done to me and couldn't answer any of my questions. When they discharged me I asked a nurse if I could see the consultant but was told that even if I was to wait a further 6 hours it would be unlikely that he would have time to speak to me. I just feel a bit in the dark as I have no idea what has been done to me really. I don't want to wait until June to find out!

MichaelSheensNextDW Mon 27-Mar-17 16:20:00

The consultant would have written a Theatre Report detailing the actions taken in your procedure, from how your skin was disinfected, what was found, what was done and how your wound was closed and dressed.

Very strange indeed that your physio didn't think to look at this in your notes. Your nurse in recovery or in the post-op ward should have found these details for you on request.

An electronic report would have been sent to your GP for your records there so you could ask them to tell you what was actually done.

twoandahalftimesthree Mon 27-Mar-17 16:24:09

The physio did have a drawing but he couldn't read the handwritten annotation on it (I couldn't either and I asked the nurse too but she was none the wiser either!) so it wasn't much of a help.

twoandahalftimesthree Mon 27-Mar-17 16:26:42

I wonder why the appt is for 11 weeks after procedure rather than the 6 weeks the hospital said. Might that be just because of waiting times or could it be a mistake? I've tried ringing the hospital to ask but after waiting on hold for 15 minutes and finally reaching first in the queue I was cut off!

MichaelSheensNextDW Mon 27-Mar-17 16:45:06

Ah. Handwritten op notes are not popular for this very reason and many hosps have introduced the requirement for a typed document instead. Frustrating for you! Somehow you need to reach the consultant's secretary and query your follow up although delays seem to be commonplace at the moment (eg I was due to see rheumatology in Dec for a routine follow up, but am having to wait until May).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now