Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HPV POSITIVE

(8 Posts)
Mammamia2016 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:19:51

I've just received my letter after my smear telling me I'm HPV positive with no abnormal cells. So yearly smears from now on. I've been with my partner for 2.5 years, is it likely he's passed it me? Or will it be from someone before and I've passed it him? im really embarrassed to tell him, he doesn't know about my past and I'm worried what he's going to think

terrylene Mon 27-Mar-17 14:25:37

There is no way of knowing - it could be recent, or it could be something that has grumbled on for quite a while. The important thing is that you get the yearly smears to make sure there is no change to the cells.

I wouldn't bother telling him - it is just routine and there is nothing he can do. Most women find it difficult to get their head round, so he probably won't have a clue anyway.

TheOnlyColditz Mon 27-Mar-17 14:28:12

You should tell him, he could have given it to you or you could have given it to him. There is t anything you an do about it but you should tell him.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Mon 27-Mar-17 14:30:33

Did you have a smear before you met him?

Mammamia2016 Mon 27-Mar-17 15:21:49

No, this is my first one! Just finding it really embarrassing and think if I tell him he's going to think I'm some massive slag

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Tue 28-Mar-17 16:12:00

You only have to sleep with one (infected) person to get an STD, it doesn't mean you are a bad person. Bite the bullet and tell him sooner than later.

Comps83 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:34:15

They say 50% of ppl will get it so pretty big odds. I'm not sure I would tell him as there's nothing he can do about it. He's probably never even heard of it. I don't really think it's classed as a proper STD as such , Ive had cells removed but they didn't test for it back then. Remember I was furious with my ex who I'd already dumped but I shouldn't have been I know that now.

Notcoldbutbaltic Wed 29-Mar-17 12:11:17

Most people get some strain of hpv throughout their lives I think I remember reading. The problem are the strains that are difficult for the body to get rid of.

Keep up your smears (I've had abnormal cells lasered myself) and regularly check your vulva for any changes. I wasn't aware of this until recently but hpv is linked to vulvar cancer too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now