Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS in sync with DH's

(6 Posts)
anadaptor Sun 26-Mar-17 12:59:28

I'm wondering whether this needs further investigation.

DH has a diagnosis of IBS whereas my GP isn't sure about me and I've been referred for a colonoscopy.

We are both getting symptoms on the same days. So our symptoms last for 3-7 days and recur every 3-6 weeks. There is no correlation with my menstrual cycle.

Our symptoms start within hours, sometimes minutes of each other and last an identical amount of time.

We eat a varied diet, but I'm beginning to wonder whether we're having a reaction to something rather than IBS.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or knows anything about IBS?
This syncing of symptoms has been going on for more than a year now.

MollyHuaCha Sun 26-Mar-17 14:15:31

How curious. I would suggest you keep a diary to see if there is a connection between the IBS and certain food?

PensPencilsAndRulers Sun 26-Mar-17 14:25:49

My Dh and I both suffer from ibs. Although we aren't synced as much as you and your Dh we did develop the condition around the same time. im wondering if it's down to Stress? This can be a trigger for me and probably Dh too. Often if I'm stressed it is about something that is stressing my Dh out too.

anadaptor Sun 26-Mar-17 14:33:54

Well there's no doubt that general stress is a thing but it doesn't seem triggered by stress. I wonder whether it's more food related or even a bug, rather than actual IBS.

Mine isn't necessarily IBS because I caught a bug and my consultant has suggested that my digestive system is inflamed which causes recurring bouts of symptoms.

The strange thing though is that DH gets these bouts at the same time.

hellsbells99 Sun 26-Mar-17 14:45:33

Both my friend & DD2 suffer from IBS and have similar triggers - like too much bread, certain high fibre food, eating pasta 2 days on the run. You may find you both have similar reactions to the same meals.

anadaptor Sun 26-Mar-17 21:27:37

Yes, I was wondering that hellsbells

I suppose my real fear is that mine is not necessarily IBS, I had proper bad food poisoning and was hospitalised so mine is not necessarily standard IBS and may yet pass excuse the pun and I'm afraid I may have given DH a more mild case of the food poisoning I had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now