Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anxiety related chest pain - anyone around?

(8 Posts)
OhBlissOhJoy Sun 26-Mar-17 00:08:02

I've suffered from panic attacks for 20+ years. I manage them now by avoiding the triggers, which has left me agoraphobic (not housebound but limited areas I can travel).
I'm currently going through a very stressful time and about a month ago had the most intense chest pains. I'd never experienced this pain before, I knew it was anxiety related, but it was so intense I couldn't breathe so I phoned 111 for advice. They sent an ambulance as I ticked all their boxes for a heart attack. I was tested at home and they said it wasn't a heart attack and told me to go to my GP the next day. I didn't go. It was anxiety, as I knew it was.
It's just happened again. The pain was so intense I was crying out. No point in phoning 111 and wasting their time so I have stuck it out crying and swearing. It's eased a bit but still there, Is there anyone around at this late hour who has been through this that can tell me what to do? I'm deep breathing but got it hurts.

QueenLaBeefah Sun 26-Mar-17 00:12:13

I'd still phone 111 (even just for reassurance). You won't be wasting their time.

OhBlissOhJoy Sun 26-Mar-17 00:22:29

Thanks Queen, but I did that last time and they sent an ambulance. It''s such a waste of their resources.

salsamad Sun 26-Mar-17 00:25:14

Try alternate nasal breathing to concentrate your mind and distract yourself. Breath in thru the right nostril slow and steady and then breath out thru the right nostril slow and steady - repeat slowly with the left nostril snd then repeat using both nostrils. Continue using this technique for a few minutes keeping the breaths calm and steady, thinking about the breathing.
You need to go and see your GP next week. You are obviously going thru extra stress and need further support. This might be via counselling or maybe medication. Discuss things with your GP.
I find talking with family and friends helps when my anxiety is bad. I use mindfullness techniques to help me stay calm - you can get CDs and downloads off Amazon. If you feel able to some physical exercise is good for relieving stress e.g. walking or gentle yoga.
If your symptoms are really troubling you and are not calming down you must ring 111.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 26-Mar-17 00:29:06

im sorry you are feeling so crappy.

Could this be heartburn /indigestion type pain? I had very similar symptoms and turned out to be gallstines. I did get a ride in an ambulance when i hadthis the pain was so bad.

I understand your reticence but do speak to your gp about this to rule out other causes.

Are you on meds for your anxiety?

MossytheMouse Sun 26-Mar-17 00:34:34

Sorry you are having a tough time. Is there anything you can do to relieve the stress?

I get chest pains at times of stress, it can be scary. Does the pain get worse when you try to take a breath in?

ExplodedCloud Sun 26-Mar-17 00:43:45

I've had the paramedics after a 111 call for a panic attack (Prozac fuelled).
I find I accept it feels like a crisis. Accept it's happening. I have propronanol to alleviate the heart rate. It does feel like you might die and it's bloody horrible.

OhBlissOhJoy Sun 26-Mar-17 22:32:59

Thanks for your comments last night, they were reassuring. I came back in the early hours to reply but the pains came back again. GP tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now