Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have to have another endoscopy but still feel traumatised by the emergency one.

(7 Posts)
RedStripeIassie Sun 26-Mar-17 00:01:39

My last one (last month) was without any sedation and lasted for 25 mins whilst they injected and stapled 5 haemorrhaging gastric ulcers. I was in hospital for lung infection and my oxygen was so bad they couldn't risk sedating me. I have to have a follow up one soon and I'm so scared. My breathing is still bad but much better and I'm out of hospital. Will they let me have sedation? Will it be quicker? Should I bring in my own oxycodone or a bottle of vodka in case they don't sedate me. I'm scared sad.

hairymuffet Sun 26-Mar-17 13:23:56

Just tell them you're not having it without sedation.

Sansculottes Sun 26-Mar-17 13:33:03

I think you need to call consultants secretary and ask if you can see consultant before the procedure. You should say you will need sedation and explain the level of (completely understable) anxiety you have about having another one.

I have had an endoscopy with sedation and it was ok. I can completely understand why you want sedation and I would also insist on it flowers

welshweasel Sun 26-Mar-17 13:37:57

Assuming your chest problems have resolved there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to have sedation if you want it. A follow up scope in these circumstances is likely to over with within 5 minutes and will be a very different experience to the emergency one. Explain you're scared and they will do everything they can to make sure you're comfortable. Please don't self medicate with oxycodone as that could be really dangerous.

RedStripeIassie Sun 26-Mar-17 20:31:06

Oops, I'd forgotten to check back on my midnight anxious ramblings grin!
I'm definitely going to ask for sedation but I'm worried they'll say no as the chest problems are ongoing.

Thanks sans I looked through the paperwork today and found a number to call tomorrow.

Don't worry, I'm joking about the oxycodone. I'm just slightly in love with it at the moment and it's such good pain relief (and makes me feel soooo blissful blush).

I'd read some other scare stories about people being talked out of sedation and it kept me up.

RedStripeIassie Thu 13-Apr-17 11:09:08

The time has come and I'm waiting for it now.

Good news is I'm getting sedation!

Kreeshsheesh Thu 13-Apr-17 11:45:06

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now