Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it normal to be so tired 3 days after GA

(19 Posts)
Talk75 Sat 25-Mar-17 14:30:06

And I mean knackered.

I had a minor gynae op on weds and I am still absolutely exhausted after the general anaesthetic....3 days later - is this normal?

Thanks.

ADisappearingDreamOfYesterday Sat 25-Mar-17 14:37:34

I always feel very tired for about a week after a GA, and usually very tearful blush My GP said it is very common, a reaction to the anaesthesia plus perhaps the stress of waiting and having an Op.

I hope you feel better soon.

Talk75 Sat 25-Mar-17 15:39:00

Thank you..that explains it! Thought I was just being a wimp! ;)

Titsywoo Sat 25-Mar-17 15:41:31

Yes I felt tired for a good few days after a diagnostic laparoscopy.

MrsJayy Sat 25-Mar-17 15:41:49

Even though you said it was minor it was still an op ypu were knocked out for take a breath and rest you are not a wimp flowers

SparklesandBangs Sat 25-Mar-17 15:52:46

Yes. For my body there is something about the whole fast/no liquid preparation, plus the anxiety plus the actual anesthetic that wipes me out for at least a week.

Talk75 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:52:18

Thank you xx

I think I'm just putting too much pressure on myself to recover.

I'm supposed to be going back to work on Monday but I don't feel up to it. Am stressing though because my boss decided to take some time off last minute (the day before my op!) so am feeling pressured to go in on Monday but my whole body feels so heavy like lead- am just dragging myself around!!

Cocolepew Sat 25-Mar-17 16:57:28

I was told by a physio, after an op, that GA takes ages to leave your body.
She told me to "huff" during the day.
Sort of like blowing up a balloon, it helps to expel it apparently.

AdaColeman Sat 25-Mar-17 17:01:03

Rest as much as you can, drink plenty of fluids, I hope you start to feel better soon. thanks

ADisappearingDreamOfYesterday Sat 25-Mar-17 17:47:02

Please don't go into work until you truly feel better. I understand about the stressing but really it isn't worth it. Your health has to come first, plus you won't be 100% when you're at work anyway.

LookAtAllTheBullshit Sat 25-Mar-17 17:51:32

Former surgical nurse here, GA affects everybody differently, but very common to be tired for a few days / a week or so afterwards. Then combine that with the other physical factors of starving prior to surgery, reduced appetite after and any pain post op. Them factor in any medications for pain relief and then finally heap on the psychological stress of surgery, hospital, treatment by staff and the body goes "give me some time please", perfectly normal.
Hope you feel better soon.

Twopeapods Sat 25-Mar-17 21:30:00

Took me about a week after keyhole surgery to stop taking naps and resting. A family friend is a physio and said GA gets trapped in tiny pockets around your body, so a few weeks down the line a pocket might get released and you will suddenly feel very tired. I also tasted it in my mouth for ages afterward confused

frums Sat 25-Mar-17 21:36:27

I was exhausted and slightly dizzy and whoozy for about 10 days after a 30 min op. I was shocked how much it affected me.

Talk75 Sun 26-Mar-17 12:09:44

Thank you for all your replies - am going to take it easy and not worry about work xx

gassylady Sun 26-Mar-17 12:30:57

Anaesthetist here, yes it's normal to be wiped out by the entire experience. When people start training they are often tired because of breathing stuff in at the beginning of cases. There are most definitely not pockets of it trapped anywhere!

WorshipTheGourd Mon 27-Mar-17 19:14:55

gassylady - I am about to have to decide between a GA and spinal.
could I pm you?
(not to worry if you'd rather not smile

Talk75 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:46:26

Hi worship - of course! I don't know how to do that though!! ;)

Talk75 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:50:59

Sorry Worship! Ignore me! Just seen your message is for gassy lady - I'm rubbish at Mumsnet! Ps - I've had both GA and a spinal so very happy for you to pm me about them if it helps..xx

WorshipTheGourd Tue 28-Mar-17 10:14:55

that's kind, thanks!

I'll just stick it on the thread if that's okay?

I have had 4 x Spinals in past (2x Csecs, 2x lower leg surgery)
My last spinal felt 'different' - they had 3 attempts to site it and I was on the ceiling each time. It didn't 'wear off' very well (still have small numb areas after 12+ months) and I was unwell in hospital after. I had surgery on my right side but my left side felt weak. I asked for a zimmer to use the loo but nurse said no and I fell. I was sent for an Xray to check no broken bones and put back to bed. 2 days later I was given an MRI and I had slipped a disc trapping the nerves down my left side. I am due back to have further surgery to the right side (it failed).

They have suggested I have a GA this time as 'I don't seem to do well on Spinals...'! I am no longer confident in the anaesthetic dept of this hospital but have no alternative (v rural)

My BMI was 43.5. I have reduced it to 39.1 and hope to drop it a bit more this month prior to surgery.

BUt, even with spinal / 'light sedation' (for IVF etc) I am always fairly ill after - vomiting / fainting etc.

Am really worried about a GA and would be grateful for any advice?
I know I can contact hosp but am not confident about their advice (such as it is anyway)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now