Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Underactive thyroid-should I reduce thyroxine again after having baby?

(6 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 25-Mar-17 11:51:05

Hi all! My thyroxine dose was increased from 150mcg to 175mcg mid pregnancy. I asked my gp if I should reduce it again once the baby was born and he said I would need a blood test at 6 weeks postpartum to check my levels. However, I'm one week postpartum now and I feel like my levels might be too high- I'm jittery, my appetite is very hit and miss and I'm having trouble getting to sleep despite being exhausted from having a newborn. My mood is fine and I feel otherwise well so I don't think it's connected to hormones. I basically feel like I've drank too much coffee all the time.

Should I decrease my dose back to my pre-pregnancy levels?

Sarahlouiseis33 Sat 25-Mar-17 11:59:20

Hi, when pregnant my thyroxine was increased by 25mcg and then when I gave birth reduced back down to my original dose. I think the increase in dose is to support the growth of the baby so it would make sense then that once you have given birth the increased dose is no longer needed. I can't remember having to have a blood test, I'm sure I was just advised to go back to the lower dose. Hope that helps!

Sarahlouiseis33 Sat 25-Mar-17 12:00:13

Congratulations by the way!! xx

Womble75 Sat 25-Mar-17 12:10:31

Get your bloods done. I'm 2 1/2 weeks pp and went from 75mg to 200mg whilst pregnant.
I had my bloods taken last week after 14 days as per GP advise and just waiting on results to adjust dose accordingly. He did say I would need bloods done every 3 weeks for the next few months to monitor. Pregnancy can exacerbate your thyroid functions and they can change pp so your levels might not go back to what they were pre pregnancy.
I would get into see your GP and do it under their guidance. It may take a good few months to settle back down.

Sansculottes Sun 26-Mar-17 13:41:26

I was told by endo to go back to normal dose the day after birth. I think you should book telephone appointment with your GP.

booox Sun 26-Mar-17 14:04:46

I would absolutely get a blood test first asap but the usual guidance is to reduce after birth.

The reason why it's best to test first is that some women are much heavier post birth and may need a bit more till weight drops a bit. Or thyroid has deteriorated further, though unlikely in your case as 150 is quite a large dose.

It's basically always best to test first esp if having symptoms, as they can rarely be due to other things.

To me it does sound like you may be on too much however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now