Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Jane Plant

(8 Posts)
boopsy Fri 24-Mar-17 16:05:05

I have been limiting dairy for a few years now to try and lower my risk of breast cancer (weak family history but i have health anxiety! I t was mostly due to reading Jane Plants book of how she cured cancer by avoiding dairy etc. However i googled her to see how she was getting on and she has died!! Feel really sorry for her loved ones which goes with out saying, but also feel really down. I really thought i was doing something positive for my health but it seems pointless now. I feel like i have no control over getting cancer and its scary. Can anybody point me towards any books they have read which they found useful in keeping healthy and/or preventing cancer?

1234hello Fri 24-Mar-17 18:54:56

Sorry to hear about your family history.

I had heard of Jane Plant so shock to me to hear she has died too.

First and foremost I would work on your health anxiety...maybe google some books for that also?!

Nevertheless it is sensible to be informed about what is within your control re preventing cancer and I would recommend this book:

www.amazon.co.uk/Anticancer-New-Life-David-Servan-Schreiber/dp/0718156846?tag=mumsnetforum-21

But you do know there are no guarantees? Please try to enjoy life and not get too obsessed smile

boopsy Sat 25-Mar-17 10:40:43

I will take a look thank you very much. I can kind of manage my health anxiety by doing research and reading books on preventing illness. i know there are no guarantees but it helps me feel im not totally helpless!!

1234hello Sat 25-Mar-17 11:18:40

I just had a closer look at the book and it is perhaps aimed at people with cancer. That said, I read it a while ago when someone close to me had cancer and I found it interesting and quite empowering in terms of doing things to help yourself (as a person who doesnt have cancer but would like to do things to help prevent it) - this aspect may appeal to you. Best wishes to you.

Titsywoo Sat 25-Mar-17 11:20:57

She didn't die from breast cancer though. It was a blood clot.

Titsywoo Sat 25-Mar-17 11:50:01

The man who wrote that book also died (of his cancer). There are ways to help yourself not get cancer which everyone knows about (don't smoke, don't drink too much, keep a healthy weight, eat lots of fruit and veg and not much processed stuff etc). You can't guarantee not getting cancer and most of us will eventually (hopefully in our old age though).

boopsy Sat 25-Mar-17 14:12:03

Thanks, i didn't know that about Jane Plant and i know most of us will get it at some point (either that or heart disease, we have to die of something!) But i hope to be old if it happens. From my experience older people seem to get a more (gentle?) form of cancer which kills quickly with less pain. Younger people from my experience tend to suffer more, maybe because their young strong bodies are fighting harder. However this is just my personal experience and im sure not the same for everyone. x

Titsywoo Sat 25-Mar-17 15:39:58

I don't think that's true at all. I've known a few younger people with cancer and most people are still here and cancer free. I really don't think you need to be worrying about this. Cancer under the age of 50 is still pretty rare. And lots of cancers are cured or managed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now