Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wits end. Dentist related! 😰

(12 Posts)
Addtothechaos Thu 23-Mar-17 19:15:27

Hi everyone

Posted this in chat but I think the traffic has pushed it away so not many replies!

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has advise on what to do about my front tooth. I chipped it in a car accident a few years back and recently decided the appearance needed improving! So off I go to my dentist about 3 weeks ago and we decided 'tooth bonding' would be a good fix. The tooth looked great from the outside but felt rough and sharp at the back, so I go back and dentist files it down some. Tooth a bit tender but not too bad. Fast forward a few days and I'm suddenly aware I'm playing with it a lot with my tongue as still feels irregular and rough and now I have actual real toothache from the tooth sad I haven't had any probs in past with this tooth and I'm scared I've damaged it now with going back for more smoothing of the filling and pushing it with my tongue (a lot!)

I'm not touching it now and I think I can live with the roughness if it stops hurting but will it settle down on its own? I'm reluctant to go dentist and have yet more messing with it! So sick of it all now though !

MummyBearToOne1988 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:24:36

Hi I'm a dental nurse. Hopefully I can try to help... Did you have an xray on it? The nerve could be dying off due to the knock... I wouldn't say your tongue is causing the pain unless you're putting so much pressure on it that you're causing bruising? As for the roughness. You will have had a composite build up on it. That is bonded to your tooth. I do hope minimal drilling was done to secure this? The composite is a rougher material than your own tooth enamel so it will never be as smooth. However you can ask them to smooth it a bit more if not used to it within one week. The mouth is so sensitive it takes a while to adjust .

MummyBearToOne1988 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:31:10

Ps what does your toothache feel like?

Addtothechaos Thu 23-Mar-17 19:35:00

Hello and thanks for the reply! Mumsnet is a brill place for support smile

I had an X-ray on it years ago, it chipped on my bottom tooth as my mouth sort of snapped shut during the crash (weird I know!) Xray all looked good and then I've had one a year since so a few of them have all looked OK so far..

Can you bruise a tooth? I feel like having this work done on it and then playing with it with my tongue has irritated it somehow! I hope the nerve isn't dying as that spells more time/money in the chair I'm guessing sad

How long would an irritated tooth take to settle down? I don't think much was shaved off but what do I know being a mere victim patient!

Addtothechaos Thu 23-Mar-17 19:40:13

Hi mummybear

It feels like a very dull pressure/ache. Doesn't seem particularly sensible to hit/cold or touching it etc. Just the same ache constantly which I seem to be able to zone out of when busy X

Addtothechaos Thu 23-Mar-17 19:40:53

Sensitive to hot/cold! Sorry about typos there!

MummyBearToOne1988 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:51:49

I know. I have always googled everything and read so much on here. Decided to finally join yesterday. flowers

Bless you. It's more worrying as it's your front tooth. Yes it can get bruised. I have a habit of clenching/grinding at night when I'm stressed that makes my teeth feel bruised, a similar bruised feeling is braces where they're being moved. So if you're aware of it your tongue (The strongest muscle in the body)maybe aggravating it when you're not aware.

Good news for you is the signs of a dying nerve is that you're sensitive to hot... Keep an eye out for any lumps or swelling above the tooth on your gum. And if you get a chance then tap the tooth with something like a pen or similar. If it feels tender more than the others surrounding it then that's not a completely great sign.

I'd give it a week... if it gets worse then go... if it's easing up then it's your naughty tongue

Addtothechaos Thu 23-Mar-17 20:03:41

Oh thank you mummy bear. Great advise. You have given me some hope that it will settle down.. I have take ibuprofen and also put some sensodyne on the tooth. Will leave it another 4 days as that will have been a week then. I hope it just goes away!

Just tried tapping it and doesn't seem any different to other teet.?! Also I've drank quite a bit of hot tea today and it didn't seem to have an effect so hope that's good too!

X

MummyBearToOne1988 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:22:18

All good signs!!! Fingers crossed for you. Please update. Would like to know xx

Addtothechaos Fri 24-Mar-17 07:38:59

I will update for you and hopefully it's a positive one! Still tender today with a dull ache and pressure.

Going to give it till Monday as that's when it stated this week x

MummyBearToOne1988 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:43:05

How are you feeling now ?

Addtothechaos Thu 30-Mar-17 21:51:54

Hi mummybear
Thanks for asking and remembering about me flowers
I went to the dentist yesterday (tooth calmed down a lot but I still went along as didn't feel right still) anyway dentist checked my bite and the filling appeared to be a little too high in one spot so she adjusted it for me and now the tooth n general feels a lot more polished and comfortable. Seems to be in line with the neighbouring tooth now and doesn't take all the pressure from biting on a certain spot like it did. Tooth seems to be calmer now and the pressure and ache has lifted. Hoping this carries on and it was just that spot on the tooth that seemed to take all the pressure was the cause! That tied in with me constantly playing with it (because it was uneven!) fx that's the end of that drama!

Hope you've had a lovely week and enjoy your weekend/upcoming Easter break! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now