Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vitamin D Deficiency???

(13 Posts)
Evvy543 Thu 23-Mar-17 15:25:49

My doctors said my blood test has come back abnormal vitamin D and that a letter is being sent out in the post?
The phone call was a bit vague. I don't need to be worried do I? I assume it's just a case of taken a vitamin D supplement. It's just with them saying on the phone that I'll be getting a letter to explain my results.

Noodoodle Thu 23-Mar-17 15:37:05

Ds had vit d deficiency, gp gave suplement for him to take to bring it back to a good level. Tasted horrible apparently but was fine apart from that. The call was probably just to let you know about the letter rather than the other way around, so you're not waiting about worrying about your result. Thatse a nice thong smile

Noodoodle Thu 23-Mar-17 15:37:28

Omg, nice thing! Not thong!!!!

Evvy543 Thu 23-Mar-17 15:53:14

Hahaha
Okay hun thanks xxx

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 23-Mar-17 16:00:42

Most people in the UK are deficient in vitD.

If your doctor was seriously worried they would have told you to make an appointment ASAP rather than send you a letter.

CharlieSierra Thu 23-Mar-17 21:15:57

I was going to post about this as I've just been diagnosed. Have you had symptoms, or was it discovered through routine testing? I've been prescribed a loading dose of 40,000iu for 4 days and then a maintenance dose. I am interested if anyone knows how long it takes to start to feel better?

MissSmiley Thu 23-Mar-17 21:25:36

I had very low levels last year and was prescribed 20,000 twice a week (I think) I felt better after two doses! I had been very tired and thought it was low iron again but iron was fine.

Evvy543 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:51:35

I went to the doctors with exhaustion. I've been working half 8 till 8pm at work so that hasn't helped. The doctor has signed me off for a week.
I just feel really tired and depressed most of the time xx I should get the letter tomorrow from the docs the woman said

starfishmummy Thu 23-Mar-17 21:59:44

I was diagnosed just after xmas. The words 'spectacularly low' were used. Had a five week course of 20,000 three times a week. Was told to wait a month and have another blood test. In the meantime I have a prescribed daily supplement of 600.
Both sorts of supplements were gel capsules and no taste at all.

Tbh I dont feel any different sad
Just had the folllw up blood test so we will see what happens when the results are in

Evvy543 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:44:38

I'm on 40,000 units a week for 10 weeks then having another blood test xx

HatHen Fri 24-Mar-17 15:46:14

Its very common, you shouldn't worry, but of course make sure you take the tablets

YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 24-Mar-17 16:09:35

3,200 every day for 6 months, 1,600 every day for 3 months and now 800 a day for the rest of my life.

To be honest I felt better within a week, so hopefully you'll be perking up soon. Good luck.

nocoolnamesleft Fri 24-Mar-17 23:09:55

Frankly, everyone in this country should be on a vit D supplement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now