Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Moving to the uk and the NHS?

(8 Posts)
jultomten Wed 22-Mar-17 16:49:36

We are moving to the uk, from other European ( non eu) country. My husband has English passport but not me and the kids, he will be the only one working. Do I need to get private insurance for me and the kids or are they covered but NHS?

LIZS Wed 22-Mar-17 16:55:20

You need to satisfy residency criteria , even your dh, so would not qualify for free treatment 6 months. However it is unlikely you'd be challenged at a and e or gp.

LIZS Wed 22-Mar-17 16:58:30

jultomten Wed 22-Mar-17 17:43:58

Thank you for the link Liz!
So if Iv understood correctly we will be fine as Switzerland counts as an eu country? Do I need to sign us up to a general doctor/ paediatric doctor for the usual thing kids get know and then and check ups?

MissAdaSmith Wed 22-Mar-17 18:37:37

if you do not get private health cover whilst not working, it can have implications if you want to apply for permanent residence later on. the rules are all very complex but an EU friend of mine got recently refused permanent residence because of it. With the UK leaving the EU and presumably this being in the not so distant future the end of free movement, I would look into it more detailed.

MissAdaSmith Wed 22-Mar-17 18:43:23

you will have to sign up with a GP (and if you are lucky enough to find a dentist who takes NHS patients), a dentist on the NHS as well. but there are long waiting lists in many areas for dentists and you may have to see a dentist privately.

children are only seen by the GP, not a peadiatrician, unless there are more serious things going on which require a hospital referral. I know this is rather different to a few European countries where all children have a paed as well.

jultomten Wed 22-Mar-17 19:16:32

Mabey i misunderstood the link, it dosnt say anything about a 6 month no coverage or that working/ not working makes any difference..? Just that we must live lawfully with intentions to stay. We are buying a house so defenetly intending to stay. I don't mind paying the 200 pounds per person if we are supposed to.. but I don't think we are?
The uncertainty of brexit is ofcours worrying but as we have been living in ( non eu) Switzerland I am assuming uk will have similar immigration rules after..? And they are really not that bad. You can't move to a country if you can't support yourself financially for example.
Maybe I am assuming wrong...

MissAdaSmith Wed 22-Mar-17 19:22:57

you won't need it now as you are settling. but if you are not economically active, this may have implications if you ever intend to apply for PR. in the good old days this wasn't an issue as EEA national were you justing in the UK as free movers and very few for a formal residence status from the home office. but this is all going to change. As I said, a good friend applied for PR because of brexit (never thought she needed PR as noone saw brexit coming) and now cannot get PR for exactly that reason. she is fine for now but this may change once we leave the EU. at the moment you don't need a formal residence status but once we are out of the EU,this may be different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: