Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colonoscopy soon

(15 Posts)
Forgottenshore Wed 22-Mar-17 15:26:58

Hi. I'm having my first, and hopefully last, colonoscopy next week and am wondering does the doctor give you any results/feedback straight away. I know if he takes biopsies then I'll have to wait for the results of them but wondering if they can tell straight away if there's any problems?

MrsGB2225 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:31:13

I was told at the appointment that it looked like CIN 3 and I would have to have cells removed, but it got confirmed in a letter.
There a nurse with you in there the whole time to hold your hand. The biopsy was not painful at all.

tsonlyme Wed 22-Mar-17 15:31:26

I had one yesterday! My first too. Things may be different in different hospitals but the endoscopist came to talk to me straight after (& during but some people don't remember that apparently) and gave me a copy of the report. Try not to be too nervous it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gong to be and the drugs were bloody lovely 😄

flapjackfairy Wed 22-Mar-17 15:31:32

They told me it all looked fine, nothing obvious wrong but with disclaimer that they would need to wait for test results to be certain.
Good luck x

MrsGB2225 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:42:35

Oh sorry I totally read that wrong, I read colposcopy not colonoscopy! Sorry!

charliebear78 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:12:33

I had an endoscopy and was told during and then afterwards too-I would presume a Colonoscopy would be the same procedure-Obviously would have to confirm with biopsy, but they can tell you if they think anything looked wrong etc.
If you do not mind me asking-and you might! What are your symptoms and how did you get referred?
I am wanting to have this done as I have a few symptoms that worry me-however Docs do not seem to think its ness.(even after I have tested pos for FOBT)

walruswhiskers Thu 23-Mar-17 19:27:44

The prep is miserable. You need to plan to be at home all day with plenty of Vaseline!

The actual procedure is mostly ok. My nhs trust has changed the sedative they use - they used to use one that totally blanked out any memories of the discomfort etc; the last one I had I was fully conscious with some painkiller but I did feel some pain too, mostly when the probe went round the bend at the top of the bowel. It is quite interesting watching your own insides on a tv screen though!

You'll need a lift home that day.

missyB1 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:31:33

In the unit i worked in we gave patients the results before they went home, with a copy of their report. Obviously if any biopsies have been taken they will have to be processed in the lab.

Forgottenshore Thu 23-Mar-17 23:13:26

Thank you for your replies. Not looking forward to any of it but know it's best to have it done and hopefully I'll get some answers. Also hoping the sedation is kind to me grin

charliebear my symptoms have been diarrhoea (for a long time), then in the last few weeks a lot of abdominal pain. I had blood tests done and had to give a stool sample. Bloods showed raised ESR and CRP and the stool sample showed raised calprotectin levels so I was referred to a consultant who did an initial exam and said he would recommend the colonoscopy to see what is going on. The abdominal pain is getting worse every day and the only time I don't notice it is when I'm asleep sad

xx

flapjackfairy Fri 24-Mar-17 08:45:05

I dreaded it but can only say it was nowhere near as bad as i expected and the sedation was v pleasant. Best rest for a long time !

fireandicecubes Fri 24-Mar-17 11:07:04

I've had 3 (I have Crohns) & I find the prep is the worst bit. The actual scope is ok if you opt for sedation & I was also given gas & air & pethedine last time as my bowel was very tender after surgery.

I was given some results straight away & the dr even pointed out areas of inflammation during - it's fascinating seeing your insides on a screen. Just had to wait for the biopsy results to confirm if the inflammation was Crohns. Good luck hope you feel better soon.

Munchkin1412 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:15:07

I posted about this last week! I am literally lying in recovery now.

They tell you straight away in the room but there will be a follow up appointment too.

The prep was much easier than I thought- stuck to white bread, chicken and rich tea biscuits on Sunday and hen nothing yesterday. Swallowing the first moviprep was ok and hen had about two hours on and off the loo gushing water out (but with quite long breaks in between.) then fine all day until I took the second at 8am - went a few times but slept through he night fine. I was worried it hadn't worked because it wasn't awful but he said prep was fine when he was up there.

Procedure itself was very very quick and easy. Only slight pain like mills period pain when going round the first corner. I had sedation but genuinely didn't feel sedated at all and don't know - slightly lift headed but could walk around and I remember everything that happened.

Just enjoying a cuppa and a poached salmon sandwich and watching this morning. I went private on my insurance so this is my current view!

Munchkin1412 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:39:13

Maybe the million typos means I'm more sedated than I thought 😳

MollyHuaCha Tue 28-Mar-17 14:24:15

Hope results are what you'd hoped for x

Forgottenshore Tue 28-Mar-17 19:21:07

Thank you munchkin. I'm so not looking forward to it all but it will hopefully get me some answers.

Thank you everyone for your replies xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now