Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Awful hospital appointment

(10 Posts)
user1489226029 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:40:21

AIBU. Recent referral from GP to hospital. I was made to feel I was a time waster good for nothing hypochondriac. I feel awful. Do I move on and forget about it or complain?

imsodizzy Wed 22-Mar-17 08:44:21

I recently had the same problem and the doctor at hospital tried to mock my understanding of a condition. It was an awful experience and I wish I had have complained because the whole thing makes me angry to think about. You should complain to PALS.

user1489226029 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:54:02

I have had something similar before (not as bad) and like you I left it but this time I probably should speak up. If it stops one person feeling as I did it would be worth it. I am usually quite a strong person but this consultant made me feel that I was nothing . He reduced me to a jibbering wreck!!!!

PollyPerky Wed 22-Mar-17 09:02:16

well GPs don't refer patients without good reason. Some consultants are up their own and expect to be treated like Gods. Others are lovely.
I guess it depends on what was said to you. At the time, did you consider standing your ground and explaining your concerns? I know it's easy after the event and with hindsight. I'd go back to your GP and discuss before doing anything formal. Your GP has a duty to be in the loop and also not send other patients to consultants who are brusque- there is always more than 1 consultant to refer to.

user1489226029 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:14:23

I was actually dumb struck!!!!! I felt so uncomfortable and couldn't wait to leave!!!! I won't go in all guns blazing but this person needs feedback. They may choose to ignore it but worth a try. I have been unwell for a while hence referral so it was the last thing I needed. However my gp is very good so like you say it may be worth going to gp first.

PollyPerky Wed 22-Mar-17 10:09:51

I'd go through your GP. They can contact the consultant and they need to know if patients are being treated like this. It is VERY difficult to report and 'attitude issue' which is how your complaint would be seen (theirs not yours!) It could be highly stressful for you as it's all very subjective. You'd need to prove you'd had poor treatment, so the whole thing could become a minefield.
I'm not saying you are wrong to consider it, but be aware of how it might affect your health once you started the process.

user1489226029 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:53:22

I understand what you are saying and you are quite right. I was on my own so I have no back up from that point of view. I will discuss with gp and at least they will know. Thank you for your advice very helpful.

PollyPerky Wed 22-Mar-17 12:15:43

Good luck! Ask to be referred to someone else as well.

gamerchick Wed 22-Mar-17 12:27:41

Go back to your GP trust me.

The nurse at our surgery went on a mission and lit rockets up the arses of our a&e when I told her the reason I didn't want to go as she wanted me to. It worked as well. They behaved totally professionally as they bloody well should anyway.

I think some people who work in hospitals get to the point where hospitals should be for the dying only sometimes, not preventative stuff anymore.

user1489226029 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:02:36

Yes gamerchick I think there is an element of that. The consultant definitely thought I had badgered my gp into the referral which couldn't have been further from the truth. My gp felt it was necessary and I was happy to go with that. I'm lucky that my gp has been great through this I don't know how I would of coped if the gp had the attitude of the consultant!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now