Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it okay to feel nervous but thankful that the GP has taken me seriously?

(8 Posts)
KittiKat Tue 21-Mar-17 21:28:28

I have had a distinct change in my bowel habits since before Christmas. I have also put on a good stone in that time too. My tummy is so so sore and so bloated, I really do look pregnant. I feel exhausted nearly all the time and whilst out with my DD on Saturday, she was horrified that I was out of breath whilst walking around the shops with her.

The GP examined my tummy but said she could not find any masses and made me an appointment for a colonoscopy which is tomorrow. She said it was to rule out bowel cancer first.

If that test shows nothing, then the next stage is to have an ultra scan for ovarian cancer.

If that test is negative, then she will order a test for ulcers.

She really is a brilliant doctor and is moving with all the speed she can.

I made a silly decision today not to drink alcohol and to give up smoking as that might help me feel better. Well I have crumbled and bought a packet of cigarettes and half a bottle of Bacardi. I think once all my tests are out of the way, I will try again.

I am telling myself not to be silly, that there is no point in worrying when I don't know what it is. All I know is that I feel like shite and I want to cry and I want a cuddle from someone but there is no one here, I live on my own and I don't feel I can ring my parents up and worry them sick and my DD would be hysterical so I have not told her.

My sister is dropping me off at the hospital tomorrow, I had to tell her about the colonoscopy as I can't drive myself back afterwards. I have not told her my worries as she has her own health problems and she can't cope with stress.

Cheer me up and send lots of wine please grin

Violetcharlotte Tue 21-Mar-17 21:32:24

Hello, sorry to here this, it must be really scary for you. and not nice having no one to talk to.

The only advice I can give is try to stay away from Google as you'll just freak yourself out, trust the professionals.

I hope things turn out ok for you flowers

Helenluvsrob Tue 21-Mar-17 21:33:56

I can tell gin is a clear fluid and so won't interfere with the day of clear fluids for bowel prep😂

Sedation for colonoscopy is lovely. I knew absolutely nothing about it

KittiKat Tue 21-Mar-17 21:36:17

Helenluvsrob Oh no! Am I not supposed to drink? Too late... They never put that in the instructions for tomorrow. Just sent me a foot long bottle that i am supposed to stick up my bottom at 7am tomorrow morning grin

228agreenend Tue 21-Mar-17 21:40:57

Good luck for,tomorrow.

KittiKat Wed 22-Mar-17 15:12:09

I am back from my tests/investigations today. Consultant believes I have Coeliac Disease. Blood tests have been done to confirm it all.

Just spoke to my Mum and she says there is a history of "funny tummies" in the family!!

Ultra scan showed no problems at all with ovaries too, so all in all, I am feeling quite relieved.

Abraiid2 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:16:08

If it is coeliac you will feel better fairly quickly. My son was diagnosed 15 months ago and is happier and healthier. He did all his GCSEs and A levels with coeliac and I just wish we had known before.

I almost have my fingers crossed for you. It is sometimes a pain going GF but what a difference it makes if you have CD.

MichaelSheensNextDW Wed 22-Mar-17 17:10:13

That's really good news, you must be relieved flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now