Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I right to be concerned or am I a hypochondriac?

(9 Posts)
HealthWorries Tue 21-Mar-17 20:32:00

I've NC for this as I'm embarrassed by what is probably me being hystericalbut I'm getting increasingly depressed and winding myself up so I'd appreciate some advice.

I've had pretty poor health over the last 2 years since having my daughter - 3 different auto-immune diseases diagnosed in that time - and am now at a point where I am in pain most days and am feeling very low. The cause of my pain hasn't been diagnosed and I can't shake the feeling that there is something seriously wrong with me. I have this odd feeling/sensation around the bottom of my left rib and at times it feels like there's a lump there and is tender when pressed and I keep thinking I have cancer or something serious and that's the reason for all my pain and other problems I'm experiencing.

I feel ridiculous writing this down as I know I sound like a total hypochondriac but I can't help but feel really concerned. Is it possible to have a private scan to check that my stomach area is ok? I feel like that would at least put my mind at rest and stop me obsessing over this issue but am I being ridiculous?

leighdinglady Tue 21-Mar-17 20:46:55

Hernia? Go back to the doctors and demand they refer you for checks

Ohyesiam Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:17

A friend had a private scan, and it was cheaper than I thought it would be, but I don't know how she arranged it. You could call a private hospital and ask, or Google it for your area.

I used to be a nurse, did a fair bit of oncology, and I don't ever remember pain being the symptom that people presented with when they got there cancer diagnosis.

Sorry you are going through this , it's understandable that you are worried. Get it looked at asap, because the stress will make all your other symptoms worse, and your life less happy.

SlB09 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:24:13

Sorry you are feeling this way. You have been through so much, obviously depression can exacerbate or even cause pain, but even if this isnt the cause treating low mood can help the pain.

Is it generalised pain or specific? (I know you say your rib, I agree with previous poster that tenderness is not a classic nasty sign) How long have you had the pain? Loosing significant weight? Nausea or vommitng? Changes to bowel habit? These are all considerations which im sure your doctor will have taken into consideration if they are investigating your pain.

By the way you write it sounds like you are quite anxious but realise that it is unlikely to be anything serious in reality - 'health anxiety' is a well recognised problem and tends to happen after experiencing ill health. It makes sense, your scared of being ill again - sufferers tend to seek unnecessary tests to reassure themselves that things are fine but this actually exacerbates the problem. Its something worth considering anyway.

If your really not happy then explain your worries to your GP or a different one if you dont feel they will listen, you need to be able to rest your mind x

HealthWorries Tue 21-Mar-17 22:19:51

Thank you for taking the time to reply. leigh, I've be so focused on imagining the worst case scenario, I haven't even considered a hernia.

And Ohyes and SIB, you've both given me some reassurance so thank you. The pain I have is different to the stomach issue as that is more of an ache/tenderness, whereas I have real pain in multiple joints which is suspected arthritis. I think health anxiety is very likely and I keep telling myself that although I do have a number of health problems at the moment, it is unlikely that I have something life-threatening, but my rational self tends to abandon me when I'm lying awake catastrophising in the middle of the night!

Thank you again, I think I will look into private scans even if it's just to reassure myself but will also push to see my GP, which is a bit of a battle in itself x

artiface Tue 21-Mar-17 22:23:20

Could it be costochrondritis? (not sure of the spelling)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 21-Mar-17 22:24:08

I hate the term 'health anxiety' it's demeaning and condensending. The op isn't 'anxious' in the way she writes - she's been really ill and still has odd symptoms and is asking what we would make of them.
Op don't listen to people dismissing you as 'anxious' - if you feel there is something else wrong then book a private scan and keep going back to the drs.

Le1890 Tue 21-Mar-17 23:05:25

Sorry you are having a hard time.

To be honest I don't see why you should need to book a private scan for it. I would go back to the gp and explain the pain and that you are concerned it is something to be concerned about and you would like to be referred for a scan to look into it.

it's a vicious cycle as you are noticing the pain, which then leads you to think the worst case scenario which then leads you to paying it over and over in your head and then the more this happens the more you notice the pain and the whole thing keeps going. So I think if you had a divinities answer then you would either deal with the medical issue if there is one or the anxiety will calm down as you will know it's nothing.

It's easy to get anxious when you have had a baby and had so many health issues like you have. Don't be hard on yourself. Go back to the gp x

HealthWorries Wed 22-Mar-17 10:01:42

Artiface I've never heard of costochrondritis but don't think that's likely looking at the symptoms.

Sunshine I know what you mean and I agree that it's frustrating and quite demoralising when people have the attitude that it's all in your head and you just need to 'calm down dear', but I also understand what the previous posters are saying and recognise that I am feeling quite anxious about my health at the moment. That's not to say there's nothing wrong with me, some conditions have been diagnosed already as I said, but I think there is an element of doom in my head that things can only get worse.

And Le, I've managed to get a GPs appointment - for 2 weeks time(!!) so will be pushing to be taken seriously.

On a side note, does anyone else struggle to fight their own corner? If it was my DD, I would be camped outside the surgery demanding action, but when it's for me, I find myself apologising for wasting time. Pathetic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now