Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tooth with root canal options

(5 Posts)
wonderwoof Tue 21-Mar-17 10:25:27

One of my molars cracked whilst I was pregnant and not long after I got a root canal done. There is not much of the tooth left. I had to get antibiotics as it became infected afterwards, but they quickly worked and I have had no issue since.

She filled it and it has been ok for a few months. Today the filling was dislodged whilst she was polishing my teeth. She filled it with cement, which didn't set as it had been mixed incorrectly. She then put in a composite filling.

The filling just fills the hole this time- it doesn't give any biting surface. She said this is intended to be permanent, but talks often about removing the tooth once it breaks.

I am a bit worried she has just decided I will need this removed and essentially this is a temporary fix until the last bit cracks.

Is there no way she could fill it to support the tooth and hopefully keep it? Or if it has to be removed is it not better to do that whilst it is partly intact?

I am wondering whether to change dentists for a second opinion, but she seems nice enough. I know there are loads of options once the tooth is removed, but as it is causing no problems just now I would like to do my best to keep it.

MollyHuaCha Tue 21-Mar-17 11:46:18

Go somewhere else for a different opinion. I've seen five dentists in the last year - a dentist whilst I was abroad, my normal dentist, a locum when she was away, a hosp dentist she referred me to and a root canal specialist the hosp referred me to. Each has had a different opinion on the same tooth!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 21-Mar-17 13:02:37

Get a second opinion.

When a tooth cracked during pregnancy I had a RC, followed by a crown. But there was not enough of the tooth left to support the crown. I now have a gap. I was advised to leave the root there until I decided what to do.

Options are:
Redo the RC to provide a bigger post for the crown - risk of shattering the remaining root;
Bridge the gap - requires crowning a perfectly healthy tooth;
Partial denture.

I want 3, but have gone for 5 (do nothing!) the root has never given me any problems in 16y.

The reason to leave the root in place is to stop theteeth around it shifting to close the gap, with the risk of eventually resulting in mis-matched chewing surfaces, and to preserve bone density in the jaw. Apparently losing teeth results were n thinner jawbones.

wonderwoof Tue 21-Mar-17 15:14:00

Thanks both. Yes, like you I have only ever had bother from the tooth when I have had a dental procedure so I am reluctant to touch it.

Thanks for your replies- I will need to try and brave another dentist.

Reba0706 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:45:38

Are you an NHS patient or private? If you're private you can pick and choose your dentist depending on who gives you the best solution for you. I think there is something to be said for knowing ourselves and what we'd like the outcome to be. I'm having extensive dental work at the moment and have changed dentists part way as the first one didn't treat me like a living, breathing human being with feelings and thoughts I was just a set of teeth to be worked on. Choose someone who gives you an answer you feel comfortable with x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: