Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What was the cause of super heavy (menstrual) bleeding (sorry if TMI)

(100 Posts)
BoBaraMoMara Sun 19-Mar-17 22:58:36

I am supposed to be fully in menopause. Have been happily on non- sequential HRT for 6 months.
Haven't had a period in 6 years or any bleeding.

Last night I started bleeding and cramping quite heavy. I was really shocked as it has been so long.

Today the bleeding has just increased to being very very heavy. Soaking a pad in an hour and lots of clots.

I can't remember the illness that can cause this- I remember the MNer here who had very heavy bleeding and went to A&E and it was very serious.

Please can anyone remind me what the illness was so I can see if I have any other symptoms.

Also, anyone ever experienced this type of bleeding 6 months into HRT?

luciole15 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:00:01

You need medical attention asap. Please phone 111.

BoBaraMoMara Sun 19-Mar-17 23:02:53

Agh. Are you sure?

BoBaraMoMara Sun 19-Mar-17 23:04:14

Agh fuck. I'm so sick of hospitals. Have a poorly child and am there all the time. I can't bear to go for myself. Especially if it's not serious.

Will call 111, ok, thanks.

UnGoogleable Sun 19-Mar-17 23:06:29

111 will most likely tell you to go to A&E - which I think you should.

Take care

NinjaPanda34 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:07:19

Hi, I remember the thread. I think the lady had sepsis. Do you have a high temp/ fever/ other symptoms? Ring 111 and get advice asap

UnGoogleable Sun 19-Mar-17 23:08:02

By the way, I recently had to go in, but I called my OUt of Hours doc, and they booked me an appointment with the OOH at A&E - so I didn't have to wait at all. It was amazing. I walked straight in, no waiting.

Worth a try, rather than sitting in A&E for hours tonight.

BoBaraMoMara Sun 19-Mar-17 23:09:26

No, I don't have any other symptoms. Abdominal pain and heavy bleeding. Will call them in spite of really really really not wanting to. Thanks.

PoshPenny Sun 19-Mar-17 23:13:04

I'm pretty sure if you read your HRT leaflets, that kind of heavy bleeding should be reported to a doctor. I think you should call that 111 number in the first instance and see what they say.

Nosyparker1 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:18:25

Hope you feel better soon x

lazycrazyhazy Sun 19-Mar-17 23:20:52

I hope you're getting seen. Any kind of bleeding post menopause is a cause for concern and heavy bleeding is an emergency.

BoBaraMoMara Sun 19-Mar-17 23:22:12

Ok, thanks, have called 111. A doctor will phone me back in the next hour. Hopefully s/he won't send me to A&E.

I swear, the triage man asked me if I have a "tenpin" in my vagina. I honestly couldn't work out what he said then I realised he meant tampon. blush

UnGoogleable Sun 19-Mar-17 23:40:46

Be prepared for the Dr to tell you to go to A&E. That's what happened with me, I think once I'd described how heavy the bleeding was, they had no choice but to advise me to be seen by a Dr.

Do you have someone to take you? Perhaps pack a few overnight essentials in case you're kept in?

MissJSays Sun 19-Mar-17 23:44:28

Oh gosh, no advice here sorry. I hope you're ok, keep us updatedflowers

BoBaraMoMara Mon 20-Mar-17 00:16:23

The 111 GP said that I should go to the hospital GP tonight.

I have a 1:15am appointment at hospital. So will take a few bits in case I am admitted. I really don't think they will.

He also said I need 2 week referral for cancer screening as I should not be bleeding like this 6 years into menopause. I'm only 45 years old but had early menopause.

I have BP cuff at home for DS and my BP is normal so I don't think I'm losing dangerous amounts of blood but he still insisted that I go to GP tonight and he will do the 2 week cancer referral dated Monday.

I will take money, chapstick, hand cream, pads, pants, pyjamas, comb, phone charger, ear phones, ear plugs, my current HRT,
Anything else anyone can think of?

I'm usually pretty good at this having done it for DS many times.

BoBaraMoMara Mon 20-Mar-17 00:18:00

Ungoogle- were you ok? Was everything ok?

BoBaraMoMara Mon 20-Mar-17 00:18:27

I just can't believe something could be wrong. I'm very confused about this.

Isadora2007 Mon 20-Mar-17 00:19:24

Toothbrush! Nightie. Slippersocks. Cardio or hoodie

Isadora2007 Mon 20-Mar-17 00:19:56

And I hope you get some reassurance and all okay at two week check. Must be very concerning.

UnGoogleable Mon 20-Mar-17 00:20:31

flowers OP - this was my exact same situation a couple of months ago when I was bleeding heavily.

I saw OOH GP, he took my BP and said I was fine and sent me home. So if your BP is ok, then you may well be fine, but good to get it checked properly. Oh he also gave me Tranexamic acid to slow the bleeding, which is amazing.

Hospital bag - take slippers. Toothbrush & toothpaste. A good book.

Hopefully they won't keep you in, but best to be prepared. Good luck

SpunBodgeSquarepants Mon 20-Mar-17 00:21:36

Take a book/magazine, or a sudoku book! Hope everything is ok OP.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 20-Mar-17 00:22:28

Something to read, bottle of water.

Hopefully its nothing major, OP, but much better safe than sorry.

UnGoogleable Mon 20-Mar-17 00:24:38

I should add I'm not menopausal, it was my period, but just unusually massively heavy. I felt close to passing out by the time I got to hospital. Dr took BP and pulse, and then made me stand up and took it again to see if it had dropped - it hadn't, so he was happy.

I think it's standard for 111 or OOH doc to send you in for heavy bleeding. Because they have to be precautionary, and assume the worst case scenario.

Good luck with the cancer screening, it's good that they're taking it seriously and will fast track you through.

UnGoogleable Mon 20-Mar-17 00:25:43

Oh a dressing gown too, if you have room.

And biscuits. Might be a long night.

BoBaraMoMara Mon 20-Mar-17 00:26:36

Thank you so much for the kind words and hand hold.

Added toothbrush, small toothpaste, cardigan, slippers, and portable charger as everything I read is on my phone. Thankfully the charger is charged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now